Ch. 37- Currying Favor

Start from the beginning

For a long time, Lin Qingyuan's impression of Cheng family besides Cheng Yuanjing only stayed on Cheng Yuanxian and Cheng Yuanhan. Later, he saw eldest Miss Cheng by chance. Lin Qingyuan felt that the world was truly mysterious. How could people like Cheng Yuanxian and Cheng Yuanhan have a younger brother like Cheng Yuanjing and a daughter like Cheng Yujin?

Lin Qingyuan couldn't understand. He could only attribute this peculiarity to the old proverb: 'The dragon has nine sons, each was different.' Perhaps, Cheng family's advantages and intelligence were all monopolized by this two uncle and niece?

Lin Qingyuan also knew that Cheng Yuanjing's temperament was naturally cold, and didn't like to talk. But Lin Qingyuan himself was pretty laidback. When making friends, he didn't care about each other's background and temperament. Besides, he has a thick skin and ran to Cheng Yuanjing from time to time, maintaining their contact.

Lin Qingyuan still wondered about his friend's change in temperament. Although Cheng Yuanjing has a good memory and keen eyes, he wasn't a person who would take care of other people's affairs. Unexpectedly, he began to mention Cheng Yujin's name frequently, and even forced her to go back and take a rest. Lin Qingyuan was curious, but also felt happy, so he praised Cheng Yuanjing a bit. As a result, the man's reply instantly made him sober.

Sure enough, Cheng Yuanjing was still Cheng Yuanjing. He wasn't a person who was willing to take care of others. He just did this to his own niece.

Lin Qingyuan walked with Cheng Yuanjing for a while, then he began to sigh in pity for the unfortunate girl. Because there were no other people here, Lin Qingyuan didn't hold back and directly said: "Jingxing, speaking of your eldest niece, she is truly pitiful. She clearly has a complete family. But because she was adopted, she was trapped in the middle and didn't have anyone who was truly close to her."

Lin Qingyuan thought of his own sister, and sighed again: "Children will mature early only if they aren't pampered. Girls who are well protected by their parents, who would already be so proficient in the ways of the world at such a young age? When she finally got a good marriage contract, the man broke it under a ridiculous reason. Even in my hometown, if a woman had her engagement broken, her reputation would be severely damaged. Let alone in this capital city. Alas, she is a good girl, but was delayed like this."

Cheng Yuanjing has been too lazy to comment. Hearing Lin Qingyuan's remarks, he finally stopped his walk and gave the other man a deep look. Lin Qingyuan was terrified by Cheng Yuanjing's gaze and couldn't help asking: "What? Why do you look at me like this?"

Instead of answering, Cheng Yuanjing asked back: "Do you have a good impression of her?"

Although it was a question, Cheng Yuanjing's tone was more similar to an interrogation. Because it was Cheng Yuanjing, Lin Qingyuan had no qualm and honestly answered: "Yes. Eldest Miss Cheng is the most outstanding girl I've ever seen. Although I know she doesn't need my sympathy, I always feel pity for her. If someone can give her support, why does she need to be so perfect? Each time I see her, I can't help but think of my sister. They are about the same age, but their temperaments are so different. How can I not feel pity?"

Cheng Yuanjing knew that Lin Qingyuan's 'pity' was just a kind of compassion towards a younger generation, or someone who reminded him of his younger sister. It was no different from seeing an injured little rabbit on the side of the road. But Cheng Yuanjing knew that a man's affection towards a woman often began with curiosity and pity.

After Lin Qingyuan finished speaking, he found out that Cheng Yuanjing's reaction seemed to be wrong. Although he still looked calm as usual, the aura around his body drastically changed. Lin Qingyuan was surprised and asked in confusion: "Jingxing, what's wrong with you?"