Ch.34 - Cousin

Start bij het begin

"Aunt, Yujin understands your care." Cheng Yujin gently shook Cheng Min hand, "My engagement has been canceled once, and my future marriage is difficult. Aunt takes pity on me and wants me to marry biao elder brother. This is to save me from the fate of unmarried and being talked about maliciously. But biao elder brother is also a man, and he has his own ideas. Since he doesn't like this marriage, then forget it. After all, I am an outsider. Aunt doesn't have to put yourself in a dilemma because of me and damage your mother-son relationship."

After hearing Cheng Yujin's sensible words, Cheng Min became even more distressed: "Nonsense! I am truly fond of you. If you can come to our Xu family as my daughter-in-law, I must burn incense and thanks to the Buddha. I'm only afraid that the stupid boy in our family doesn't have any talents and isn't worthy of you."

"Aunt is joking. Biao elder brother is so good. He will meet a girl he likes in the future, so you shouldn't force him because of me."

"Yujin..." Cheng Yujin's reasonings made Cheng Min felt extremely uncomfortable. She knew that those words were right. Her wish to make the Cheng Yujin her daughter-in-law was not without pity. But in the end, Xu Zhixian was Cheng Min's own flesh and blood. If Xu Zhixian was unwilling, how could Cheng Min wronged her son for a niece.

Cheng Yujin saw it so clearly, and that's why Cheng Min became even more uncomfortable.

"Zhixian's words aren't necessarily his real thought...you can take your time. Which couple aren't like this? Many have never met before married. After marriage, if you spend your time together, feelings naturally will grow. In this world, there aren't many who have mutual feelings before marriage. How can one choose a marriage based on liking alone?"

Cheng Yujin smiled and gently pushed Cheng Min's hand away: "Yujin thanks aunt. But I don't mind, so aunt also shouldn't feel guilty."

The more sensible Cheng Yujin was, the more distressed Cheng Min became. She asked skeptically: "You really don't mind?"

"Yes." Cheng Yujin's smile was unchanged. Of course she didn't mind, because she had found a better candidate.

In the beginning, she indeed had an idea about Xu Zhixian. If she had never met Lin Qingyuan, right now she must think for a way to remedy Xu Zhixian's attitude. However, now that she had another husband candidate with a higher comprehensive score, she no longer cared about the previous one. Yet, Cheng Yujin was still surprised. She knew that she wasn't popular among young men, but never expect that Xu Zhixian would have such a huge repulsion about marrying her. Since she no longer had any intention on Xu Zhixian, naturally there was no need to force the other party. It's better to settle the matter today, so everyone would still getting along amicably in the future.

Oh, and additionally, she could also use the opportunity to gain more Cheng Min's favor.

Cheng Min also knew that her words were merely a comfort. But the boy wasn't willing, could she, as his mother, force him to get married? A twisted melon wasn't sweet. Fortunately, Cheng Yujin was sensible and took the initiative to refuse and gave Xu Zhixian a face.

Cheng Min's heart became sour, pitying this ill-fated niece even more. Cheng Yujin was excellent in everything, except that her luck was so bad. Her engagement was broken under the reason that wasn't her fault, and she ended up in such a state of having nowhere to go.

Cheng Min held Cheng Yujin's hand once again: "Good child, do not worry. The future is long. If there is anything, tell your aunt. Aunt will take good care of you."

"Yes." Cheng Yujin smiled and nodded, "Thank you, aunt.".

....

After parting with Cheng Min, Cheng Yujin walked into the corridor, neither slowly nor quickly. The vine leaves on the eaves grew very luxuriantly, and only a little bit of sunlight leaked in mottled beams.