Ch.29 - Dowry Gift

Start from the beginning

It's a pity that no one in the Cheng family knew Cheng Yuanjing's true identity. Cheng Yujin was fretted, but couldn't say it aloud. She coughed slightly, and pretended to say unintentionally: "The elder has given it. Since it is grandfather's will, we younger generations should obey."

Cheng Yuanjing lowered his head and swept a gaze towards Cheng Yujin, who immediately bowed her head. Cheng Yuanhan glanced at Cheng Yujin displeasedly, and secretly muttered in a complaint: Clearly his own daughter, but was raised by the first branch to be a white-eyed wolf. And at this time, she still said silly things. Truly couldn't comprehend the good from the bad.

Old Master Cheng looked at Cheng Yujin in surprise. Cheng Yujin's head lowered even more, pretending to be a filial child. Qingfu frowned and said: "Don't interrupt elders speaking."

Cheng Yujin replied: "Yes."

Cheng Yuanjing has no interest in Cheng family's wealth. Just mere thousands of silver taels, these weren't considered money in his eyes. Cheng Yuanjing kicked the ball back very skillfully: "Cheng Yujin is right. Since the elder gives it to me, it's not good to refuse. Just put back my share and count it as a dowry gift to my eldest niece."

In her mind, Cheng Yujin was overjoyed at this suggestion. However, with a great effort, she managed to say: "How can I accept this..."

"No problem." Cheng Yuanjing glanced at the girl. "The elder has given it. You shouldn't refuse. This is your uncle's will."

Cheng Yuanjing uses Cheng Yujin's own words to deter her, what else could she say. Cheng Yuanxian and Qingfu quickly operated their mental abacus: having Cheng Yuanjing's share given to Cheng Yujin was equivalent to the first branch getting two-thirds of the properties. It was obviously more profitable than splitting into two. Cheng Yuanxian smiled happily. "Eldest girl is sensible. You uncle and niece, one is filial and the other is benevolent. Truly a blessing of our Cheng family. Since the words have been spoken, then let's do it."

Nobility titles (and also for many imperial titles) aren't passed down indefinitely. Most of the time, it's limited to several generations. Unless the descendants kept contributing to the country, they would eventually lose their titles. This obviously a good system to prevent a heavy burden on the government (titles come with official salary paid by the court and other benefits) and simultaneously, allowing the rulers to keep bestowing title as a reward for meritious deeds. This, however, only applied for the titles held by males. Females can have a title, but cannot pass it down.White-eyed wolf: ingrates.

Ruan-shi wanted to protest, but her momentum was snatched by Cheng Yuanxian. Ruan-shi's complexion turned ugly. But in front of so many people, she couldn't speak loudly. In her heart, she couldn't help complaining about Cheng Yujin's meddlesomeness.

Old Master Cheng was taken aback at the crown prince's unexpected action. However, it was good that His Highness was willing to take care of a Cheng family member. Even if it was just a granddaughter, it was better than having he completely detached himself. Seeing Cheng Yuanjing's attitude, Old Master Cheng changed some of the words he prepared beforehand: "You all know about the amount of the properties in the public funds, and also know how much each branch can get. Besides those, I also have several private properties."

All Cheng family's adult members, including the Old Madam, immediately perked up their ears. The manor's public fund has always been scrutinized under everyone's eyes. They all knew that there wasn't much money in it and had long been fed up by the fact. Outwardly, Yichun Marquis manor didn't lack anything, but it was hard to say how much private property the Old Master and Old Madam had. For example, Old Master Cheng. In these years, he had been boldly raising outside mistress in a private residence and funding an expensive education for the son. The money he secretly amassed should be massive, but no one knew exactly how much. Now, the distribution of his private property was exactly what they waited for the most.