Ch.19 - Old Acquaintance

Start from the beginning

Lin Qingyuan was very curious about the girl who could freely enter and leave Cheng Yuanjing's study. He asked: "What did eldest miss Cheng do in the study?"

Cheng Yujin answered with a smile: "Ninth uncle is teaching me Chinese calligraphy. Today, there is a word that I don't know how to write, so I come to ask ninth uncle. I didn't expect him to have guests. I'm sorry to disturb you. When coming here, I brought some pastries. If you don't dislike, please have some."

Cheng Yujin smiled gently. It was the right choice to prepare those pastries. Now she should use them fully.

Du Ruo brought out several plates of pastries prepared by Cheng Yujin. There were not many, only three per plate, but they were exquisite in appearance and excellent in taste. Lin Qingyuan tasted one and immediately gave out praise, "It's delicious. Which shop makes it? I never tasted this."

"Lin Zhuangyuan is wrong. I made it myself."

Lin Qingyuan was even more surprised: "Eldest miss Cheng is the daughter of a marquis manor. You are born high and respected, but can also cook?"

Cheng Yujin showed some embarrassed look: "Dare not. My grandmother's teeth are no longer good, and she likes to eat soft pastries. So I slowly learn to make some."

Lin Qingyuan was surprised and praised Cheng Yujin even more. Xu Zhixian was listening from the side and suddenly added eagerly: "That's not all. Elder sister Jin is not only filial and good at cooking, but also proficient in zither, chess, calligraphy and painting, and has good needlework. My eldest sister saw the embroidery made by elder sister Jin, and was full of praise."

Xu Zhixian's eldest sister was the Shu Consort in the imperial palace. Cheng Yujin secretly praised Xu Zhixian for his support, but she still maintained a humble expression: "I merely did that to pass some time, biao elder brother is too exaggerating. People sitting here are the pillars of the court, biao elder brother don't need to give me a false face, letting Master Zhuangyuan and the others see my joke."

Cheng Yujin and Xu Zhixian laughed very naturally, and everyone could see how good their relationship was. Huo Changyuan sat on the side. His mood was complicated. He quickly bowed his head to drink tea, concealing the expression on his face. Huo Changyuan secretly took a glimpse at Xu Zhixian, his pastry was lotus cake, and his tea was flower tea. At the banquet, Xu Zhixian said that he likes light pastries and sweet tea, and was teased by everyone. Unexpectedly, here he saw someone who perfectly catered to Xu Zhixian's preferences.

Cheng Yujin's servant girl served the tea and pastries, it was self-evident who prepared this.

Cheng Yuanjing had keen eyes. He soon noticed that Huo Changyuan was somewhat distracted. Cheng Yuanjing followed Huo Changyuan's sight and found that Xu Zhixian's tea and pastries were different from theirs. Cheng Yuanjing thought for a moment and realized: if Cheng Yujin really wanted to be nice to a person, her care would be like spring wind and rain, slowly penetrating. And it was also like a fine net, unconsciously let people fell into oblivion. When Xu Zhixian was with Cheng Yumo, he always acted freely and never showed reserve. But Cheng Yuanjing, as a man, could see that any man would never want to show their ugliness in front of a woman they really did care about.

After returned from his mind, Cheng Yuanjing suddenly realized that his pastries were also different. The pastries were shaped into leaves, tasted cool and refreshing, with a hint of bitter tea.

Oh, openly paying bribes?

Because of his childhood experience, Cheng Yuanjing never touched food made by others without conducting a poison test. But just now, he had just taken the second piece so naturally. Was Cheng Yujin's handmade pastry really suited his tastebud, or was it because he had put down his vigilance with her?