Ch.16 - Fake Injury

Start from the beginning

Cheng Yuanjing slowly asked, "In the past, Cheng Yuanxian also didn't give you face in front of people?"

Cheng Yujin recalled yesterday's things. She slowly remembered how Cheng Enbao was making commotion and how the embarrassed Cheng Yuanxian shouted at her for not looking after her brother. Cheng Yujin didn't take it seriously: "Just some verbal words, and I have no actual losses. Who cares about this thing?"

Anyway, she would leave Cheng family as soon as she married. Cheng Yuanxian and Qingfu Junzhu could continue to spoil Cheng Enbao as much as they wanted.

Cheng Yuanjing couldn't utter a single word. For a moment, he felt an indescribable feeling in his heart. How old was she, already could say such logical and indifferent words. How did the Cheng family treat her so that she became so restrained?

Cheng Yuanjing felt anger towards the Cheng family. He couldn't understand his current emotion. He didn't care even when Cheng Yuanxian insulted him yesterday. Why did he get angry when hearing Cheng Yujin's words?

Cheng Yuanjing didn't understand what was actually going on in his own heart. Suddenly Cheng Yujin touched his sleeve, slowly asking: "Everyone has their own difficulty. Is ninth uncle perhaps pitying me?"

Cheng Yujin smiled at Cheng Yuanjing. Her eyes narrowed, revealing a cunning look that somewhat enticed people: "Feelings are worthless. If ninth uncle feels pity, you better give me a tangible benefit."

Cheng Yuanjing smiled. He glanced at Cheng Yujin, liking her frank attitude. After her interruption, his inexplicable emotions suddenly disappeared.

Cheng Yuanjing didn't like to owe people. Yesterday's incident happened because of him. Cheng Yujin was just implicated. He took a porcelain bottle from the many treasure shelf, and threw it to Cheng Yujin. She hurriedly caught the bottle, and immediately froze: "Medicine?"

"Mm."

Cheng Yujin was dissatisfied: "Why do you give me medicine? Can you change it?"

It was Cheng Yuanjing first time in so many years having someone dared to voice their dissatisfaction for the reward he gave, and even demanded him to change it. Without being angry nor annoyed, he looked at Cheng Yujin with a smile: "What did you say?"

"I think..." Cheng Yujin saw Cheng Yuanjing's eyes and swallowed back the words that almost came out. "I think ninth uncle is very considerate and benevolent. Thank you, ninth uncle."

Benevolent? She used this word, really treated him as an elderly? The nineteen-year-old crown prince thought: a monarch indeed had to be kind, but he never heard people ever praising him for being benevolent. Cheng Yuanjing remembered that he and Cheng Yujin were nominally uncle and niece. Since he was her father's generation, it wasn't wrong for her to use the word 'benevolent.'

Perhaps it was Cheng Yujin's last sentence 'Thank you, ninth uncle' that was too simple and too sweet. Cheng Yuanjing didn't care about the offense the girl had made, and just walked towards the large bookshelf on the inner part of the room. When he saw Cheng Yujin still standing in the same place, he raised his eyebrows and said, "What are you doing there? Come here."

Cheng Yuanjing's courtyard also had a two-entry structure. There was a main building with five rooms in the front, and a separate back-side building in the inner part. Compared with other family members, his courtyard was comparably bigger. He has no wife nor concubines, so the residence was even more spacious. The two rooms on the east side were merged by him to make a study.

The study was elegantly furnished and arranged irregularly with a charming effect, showing that the owner had a good taste. However, contrary to the expectation, there was only one bookshelf inside.