Chapter 14- Black Confrontations

Start from the beginning

"Why do you need Moony?"

James's voice caused the pair to whip around. The Gryffindor stood with his arms folded across his chest suspiciously, eyeing Frannie distrustfully behind his glasses. Remus, Sirius, and Peter stood behind him, the first looking rather uncomfortable. Lily shifted a few meters away, although her stance made it clear she wasn't leaving anytime soon.

Severus rolled his eyes, his tone growing colder. "Good riddance, Potter, is it ever possible to have a private conversation?"

"Not when you could be fraternizing with the enemy," James narrowed his gaze at Frannie, not sounding at all like the friendly boy she knew. "What's your story, Black?" he spat the name.

"Hey, hold on," Sirius held out a hand as he stepped forward, scanning Frannie's expression warily. "Don't diss the name, Potter. It is your soulmate's after all," he gestured at his chest.

Severus let out a disparaging noise. "Fine," he growled, taking a few steps forward and shoving a vial aggressively into Lupin's hands, ducking out of Sirius's reach. "I'm not waiting around for you fools. Smith, Black, whoever she is," he waved a dismissive hand in Frannie's direction, "asked me to try to find something to ease your transformations. I now see why she seemed so sure we could find one." He turned on his heel, his cloak whipping against the ground.

"YOU KNEW?" James and Sirius chorused together, their eyes wide in disbelief as they turned to Frannie. Remus had gone a deathly white as Lily shifted uncertainly on her feet.

"Oh please," Severus's nostrils flared with impatience. "It's a miracle your secret hasn't been discovered, Lupin, with the friends you keep." He made an aggressive jabbing motion at Frannie. "It's obvious she's your daughter, Black."

It was Sirius's turn to pale as all the color drained from his face. James shook his head vehemently.

"No, there's no way Pads would—"

"How did you know?" Frannie looked at Severus curiously, ignoring Sirius's sharp intake of breath.

"You've always watched him rather disturbingly," Severus shrugged, a strand of hair falling across his eyes. "Thought you fancied him at first, but now it makes more sense." At Frannie's repulsed expression, a tiny smirk grew on his lips. "Though your house is full of incest, isn't it?"

Frannie grimaced, miming vomiting as she shoved the Slytherin away. "Don't be disgusting!"

Severus seemed satisfied by the dark expression on Sirius's face. "I think I'll leave you to your little family reunion."

Frannie watched him go, running a hand through her dark curls before she turned back to Sirius, feeling extremely awkward. "Er.. sorry, I know this is a shock and all, but I really don't expect—"

"You look just like Reggie," Sirius's voice was hoarse as his silver gaze glittered with emotion.

Frannie shrank back, unused to the affection in his gaze. "Yeah, I got that a lot actually," she managed a small grin, gesturing at her robes. "Especially since I'm a Slytherin at heart."

"How could Padfoot's child be a snake?" James looked horrified, surveying her with a repulsed expression.

Frannie rolled her eyes. So much for thinking he was an improvement on Harry. "The Sorting Hat said I was one of the most ambitious witches it had sorted. Fairly simply really," she turned her gaze towards Lily, giving a gentle nod. "But I try not to be an evil git these days and blood status has never mattered to me."

"These days?" Sirius narrowed his gaze, looking instinctively at Frannie's left arm.

Frannie tried not to react, giving a small shrug. "I went through a rough time. Thought it'd be easier to only worry about my own safety. But I assure you, I would take a bullet for anyone of you now." Her tone was simple, but honest.

"What time do you come from?" Lily took another step forward, seeming more at ease, although she was still hesitant to get too close.

"May, 1998," Frannie's gaze darkened as she remembered the great battle. "Trust me, this time has been much better so far."

Sirius cleared his throat, not looking at all comfortable to be in her presence. "So that makes you, what? Eighteen?"

"Next month," Frannie replied, realizing she had nearly forgotten her birthday. "I've been of age for a while."

"Bloody hell," Sirius tugged at the ends of his hair with a shaking hand. "I have a daughter practically the same age I am."

Remus reached over and smacked his mate over the back of his head. "That's the first thing you have to say?"

"It's alright," Frannie managed a tight smile, adjusting the strap of her bag. "We never were close anyways." Sirius flinched at her emotionless tone. "Now, if you don't mind," she looked at Lily with a hesitant glance. "I could use some sleep. Besides, I don't think its safe for me to tell you too much. It is the future, after all." To her relief, the redhead nodded, even giving her a small smile.

"What harm could it really do, if it's already going to happen?" James pushed; his arms still crossed firmly across his chest.

"Ah," Frannie raised one of her eyebrows, "but that's the question, Potter. Is it?" She turned around, ducking closer to Lily's side. The girl had quickly become a great source of comfort. "Because I'm really counting on it not."