Chapter 12- Queen (Marlene)

Start from the beginning

Frannie stiffened slightly, spraying on a bit of perfume as she gazed at her arms. "Do you think they actually like each other?"

"Marlene's been in love with Sirius from the day he hit on her," Lily replied, opening the door to their dormitory. "But don't tell her I told you!" Her emerald gaze grew wide. "As for Sirius, I don't know him as well," she continued as they headed down the stairs. "But I think they're both just scared."

Frannie's gaze was ripped away from the redhead as she stared at the chaos that was now the Gryffindor common room. Banners hung from every inch of the ceiling, with red and gold confetti continuously falling onto the scarlet carpet. Bodies occupied each corner, some cheering wildly while others took turns transfiguring their friends into various animals. She bit her lip, feeling slightly entranced but also resisting the urge to go hide under her covers.

"Here we go."

She heard Lily groan beside her as the Marauders approached, Sirius holding a large flask of Firewhiskey. Peter skipped on his left side, his cheeks flushed with excitement as Remus hung back, looking rather aggravated.

"Hullo, beautiful," James gazed at Lily in adoration, his chin shadowed with a bit of stubble and his eyes dancing with happiness. He still had on his Quidditch jersey from the match earlier that day.

"Gross, Potter," Lily shifted away immediately, wrinkling her nose at his outfit. "Have you ever heard of a bath?"

"Tell that to Snivellus," James retorted, running a hand through his hair as he shifted his stance confidently.

Sirius took a swig of Firewhiskey, already seeming rather inebriated. "Prongsie here thinks his jersey's good luck. Whadda think, Evans?"

Lily narrowed her emerald gaze. "I think it can't hide the fact that he's a bully." Turning on her heel, she disappeared into the crowd. "Come on, Fran."

Sirius and James seemed to noticed Frannie for the first time. Frannie swore she saw James's eyes widened slightly as he took in her figure, but it was probably just her imagination. Blokes never really seemed to like her much, she was more the girl you went to for homework help.

"You and Evans doing like a Gryffindor, Slytherin theme?" Sirius nodded at her emerald dress, looking over her shoulder. "Where's McKinnon? Bet she looks bloody hot."

Frannie watched as the boy drove into the crowd, stumbling slightly as he pressed between a pair of Ravenclaws. "Should someone be supervising?"

"I've done enough," Remus snapped, looking rather irritated and as though he would rather be anywhere else. "It's his own fault if he wants to bury his pain in alcohol."

"Oi, Moony," James's tone was gentler as he gazed at his friend. "You know he has a rough home life—"

"Well, we can't all afford to be irresponsible, can we?" Remus spat, his golden eyes flashing with hurt. 

James stiffened. "I didn't mean—"

Remus let out a sigh, rubbing a hand over his face. "Forget it. I'm tired." He turned back up towards the dormitories. "See you, Frannie."

Frannie watched him go, feeling guilty at the pain in his step. Full Moon must have been difficult. Looking at James, she saw his shoulders slump as Remus disappeared up the stairs.

"Hey," she placed a hesitant hand on his forearm. "Want to dance?" She tried to make up for her nervous tone as she pressed a smile on her face, the bright notes of Queen filling the room. She looked over at Peter, giving him a nod. "Come on!"

Grabbing their hands, she pulled them into the center of the room, ignoring the strange looks she was getting. The old her would have hidden in the corner, but if the last year had taught her anything, it was that impressing people meant nothing.

"YOU'RE GONNA TAKE ME HOME TONIGHT!" Frannie cried, throwing her hands up in the air as she tossed back her head. "OHH DOWN BESIDE THE RED FIRE LIGHT!" She opened her gaze to see James watching in amusement, Peter looking rather nervous and like he wanted to leave the presence of such a madwoman. Grinning, she shook her hips to the side. "OHHH YOU'VE GOTTA LET IT ALL HANG OUT!" Motioning with her arms, she pulled the boys closer. "C'mon don't leave me hanging." She felt the gaze of the other Gryffindors burning her face. "I look like a bloody idiot."

James grinned, grabbing her and Peter's hands and throwing them in the air. "FAT BOTTOM GIRLS YOU MAKE THE ROCKING WORLD GO ROUND!"

The Gryffindor common room burst into cheers, a couple sixth years hooting and hollering as the crowd surged to the center of the room, shaking to the beat.

Frannie whirled around, locking arms with Peter as she did a silly shimmy, shooting the blonde a mischievous look. "I think I see Mary over there," she nodded at the pretty Gryffindor, who was dancing with Alice. "You should ask her to dance."

Peter swallowed, shaking his head as his watery gaze quickly turned to the ground. "I.. don..don't think so," he stammered, poking at the ground with his shoe. "She wouldn't like me."

"You won't know till you've tried," Frannie nudged his shoulder reassuringly, trying to avoid being trampled by the crowd. "What have you got to lose?"

The boy winced, looking over at Mary once more. This time, the strawberry blonde noticed his gaze, giving him a shy smile.

"Bloody hell, go for it mate!" James pushed his friend's back, bouncing on his toes. "At least one of us has to get some action tonight. At this rate, it's just depressing."

Peter flushed a bright red, but he made his way over to Alice and Mary, who quickly stopped to talk with him.

"You know," Frannie looked up to see James eyeing her curiously, his breath warm on her neck. "You always seemed like more of the quiet type."

Frannie smiled, waving her hands in the air as the chorus started up again. "I'm of surprises!" she returned, her grin fading a bit as she caught the back of Sirius's head. "And my father was rather wild, suppose I get it from him."

Her attention caught back on James as the boy spun her around, a loud laugh escaping her lips.

"Well give him my upmost admiration," James grinned, his hazel eyes dancing in the light of the fireplace.

Frannie's heart pounded as his hand left hers, a group of other seventh years urging him to the center. Shaking her head, she made her way over to Marlene and Lily, who looked to be having the time of their lives. Marlene's lipstick was rather smudged.

"COME ON!" Lily cried, beckoning Frannie into their circle. "I love this song!"

Frannie raised her face up to the ceiling once more, feeling a swell of euphoria rise in her chest. Maybe the Gryffindors did know something after all.

"OH, YOU'VE GOT TO GIVE IT ALL YOU'VE GOT! FAT BOTTOMED GIRLS YOU MAKE THE ROCKING WORLD GO ROUND!"