Season 4: episode 4 ''Unseen secrets'' (Part 2)

Jace's arm was wrapped around her as she laid her head on his chest, her arm clenched around his stomach. Night had fallen in New York, and the Institute was quiet. Most Shadowhunters were sleeping. Some were working late, like Izzy and Simon, others were snoring in their own rooms. ''What're you thinking about?'' she heard Jace ask. She slowly looked up at him. ''A lot.'' He sat up a little so he could see her face properly, removing a strand of hair out of her face. ''I kinda hoped the proposal would get your mind off the rest.'' She shook her head, though couldn't help but smile. ''It did, but I guess that the other thoughts are creeping up to me.''

He rubbed her arm as he sighed softly. ''I know that you want answers, I want them too. But patience is all we have right now, the only thing we need. I don't want to risk losing you again. I can't.'' She looked into his eyes as he spoke, nodding. ''I know, and I don't want that either. But I can't live like this, missing a part of me, having to be afraid of a single sound that might take my memories away again.'' He kissed her forehead. ''That's not gonna happen, I promise you.''

All of a sudden, a bright white light, blinding them both. Jace grunted as he squinted, though Clary seemed mesmerised by it. Once the bright light was gone, he dared to open his eyes again, stared straight into the eyes of an Angel. It wasn't one they knew, for Ithuriel was dead, and Raziel wouldn't appear at anyone's feet like that. Clary got up, though Jace pulled her back to him. ''Don't, they might take your memories again,'' he warned her, though she ignored that warning. It seemed as if she was drawn to the Angel.

''I'm Nuriel, and I've come to warn you,'' he spoke, his voice echoing through the room. ''Warn? For what?'' Jace asked, getting up too. He looked back and forth between the two of them, then behind him to make sure no one else was there but them. ''The way Ithuriel called out to you, spoke to you? He screamed until his voice reached you, deafening you. And that's precisely the way the Angels are extending your punishment, by using that good deed against you.'' She looked confused, that didn't make sense. ''If it was a good deed, then why do it?'' Jace asked, slightly angry with the fact that this was true.

''You also got him killed,'' Nuriel spoke. Clary swallowed. It was true, she summoned him, and even though she didn't know, she killed him indirectly when Lilith stole a sliver of her soul. ''You were punished for ignoring their warnings to stop using your gift, to make no more runes, but you hadn't been punished for the death of Ithuriel.'' Clary looked down, realisation washing over her. ''So, they use the way he communicated with me against me?'' He nodded. ''But that's not all.'' Jace stood in front of her. ''What do you mean, not all?''

Though as he was about to speak up, the same bright light consumed him again, as if the Angels knew he was there, warning them. He disappeared just as quickly as he appeared. Clary walked over to where he just stood, as if she was trying to find him. She had so many more questions left unanswered. Jace walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her. ''It's never gonna stop, is it?'' she asked as a tear rolled down her cheek. ''They'll keep doing this to me for as long as I live.'' He pulled away from her so he could look her in the eye. ''They won't. We'll find a way to communicate with Nuriel again, and we'll end this. I promise.'' She looked up at him. ''This isn't some twinning rune we can get rid of. This is the spite of the Angels, and Maryse told me that they aren't that easily forgivable.''

He hugged her again, tighter this time. ''We'll show them that they're in the wrong. You gotta trust me, Clary.'' She sighed deeply as she nuzzled into his chest, then nodded. ''I do.'' He kissed the top of her head and looked at the wall behind her. He had to find a way to ask Cleophas to help them, or the Iron Sisters, if he had to. But he wasn't gonna let the Angels get away with this. He had to contact Luke.

It took about two hours before Luke arrived at the Institute. He went to Clary's bedroom to talk with Jace about a possible meeting with Cleophas, while Clary was sleeping. The stress got the best of her, exhausting her. Luke looked at her as he walked in. ''I got here as soon as I could, but I was held up by the Praetor Lupus.'' He sighed as he sat next to Jace on one of the chairs in her room. ''Sorry it was so sudden, but this couldn't wait.'' Luke nodded. ''How's she doing?'' Jace sighed. ''Despite the news we just got? Worried.'' That was only fair, Luke was worried too. ''I haven't spoken to Cleophas since we forged Glorious.''

That seemed like a decade ago, though it had only been one year. Jace sighed. ''I know she can't communicate with the Angels anymore, or claims she can't, but she's gotta help us ask the Iron Sisters for help. It's the only way to find a way to communicate with them.'' Luke looked at Jace, cocking his eyebrows. ''You've got the same blood as Clary... different gift... She was able to summon Ithuriel, so you should be able to summon an Angel too.'' Jace shook his head. ''No way, I'm not doing that. What if I get him killed too? Or worse, they take it out on Clary? They know she means everything to me.''

Luke sighed, Jace was right. It was too big of a risk. But it so far seemed to be the only option they had, and Jace knew that too. ''Let's just sleep on it, discuss this in the morning.'' Jace nodded, rubbing his eyes. ''Yeah, sorry about the time.'' Luke smiled sheepishly as he patted Jace's shoulder. ''Everything for her, you know that.'' He got up, ready to leave, but then Jace stopped him. ''I actually had one more question.'' Luke turned around. ''I uhm... Kinda already asked her but...'' He showed her the now emptied box where the ring had been in only hours earlier. ''I wanted to ask for your hand but, all the chaos made me forget and I had already asked her before I asked you.''

Luke put his hand on Jace's shoulder, then gave him a smile so bright, it was clear he was the happiest man in that room. ''You know damn well I'd give you my blessing. There's no one else I'd want as my son-in-law.'' Jace smiled as Luke hugged him. ''I know you'll make her happy, and that's all I need to know.'' He then pulled away. ''I'll see you tomorrow.'' He left the room, went back to Maryse. Jace smiled as he laid next to Clary, who instinctively found her way in his embrace. It didn't take long for Jace to fall asleep too, leaving the day behind him.

To be continued...