2. Now - The Frailty of Friendship

Start from the beginning

"Oh, Hershel, I don't believe in miracles.", you say bluntly. "Something very wrong is going on here. Are you assisting the d'Orian police?"

"No, we're not. To be fully honest with you, we came here to help in the case at Angela's request."

You wince at this mention, which does not escape Professor Layton's sharp eyes. He says carefully:

"As you may already know, Henry and Angela Ledore founded the city of Monte d'Or."

"Yeah, hard to miss the news.", you reply tersely and cross your arms.

The company senses that the mood has abruptly turned sour. Luke and Emmy glance at each other, shifting uncomfortably.

"Are you... planning on visiting them?"

"Highly unlikely."

"I thought you and Angela were best friends?"

"Were, Hershel, thank you for using the correct tense. We were friends."

"What about Henry? You two used to get along too..."

"Yes, we used to.", you interrupt curtly. "Haven't been in contact with any of them since I left Stansbury."

"I see."

An uneasy silence fills the air and the professor speaks up again:

"It must have been hard on you."

"Oh, that was nothing compared to Angela's pain.", you brush his remark off, turning your head in the other direction to avoid looking at him in the eyes. "But well, now she's right as rain, that's what matters. I'm glad, honestly."

And that statement is true, despite the twinge of sorrow you feel deep within your chest.

"We... we are on our way to the Ledores' mansion.", Luke admits shyly. "W-would you like to join and say hello?", he suggests.

"That would be a good idea.", agrees the professor. "Perhaps seeing them again would bring back some good memories and rekindle your friendship, just like it did for us this evening."

You smile faintly at his encouragements.

"That's a nice sentiment, Hershel, but I'm unable to remember any happy memories from that time. Just like you, I left this town and everyone behind to forget."

Hershel slightly bows his hat and you realise that you have involuntarily hurt him.

"I regret you feel this way about me.", he sounds remorseful.

"Oh, Hershel, I sincerely don't blame you. That would be so hypocritical... We've both suffered so much, we had to move on. You and I made the right decision."

"To this day, I still wonder whether that was the right thing to do."

"To put it in a nutshell, please, go without me."

"Understood, (Name). Any message you would like to pass on to Angela or Henry?"

"None. Thank you very much for your concern, though. Much appreciated."

"Truth be told, I'm a little nervous. This is the first time I've seen Angela in eighteen years.", concedes the professor.

"I can't imagine how long eighteen years must feel!", exclaims the apprentice.

"It feels as long as rowing a boat across an endless ocean.", you sigh, lost in thoughts.

"Wow. I don't know whether I find that metaphor beautiful or depressing...", observes Emmy, puzzled.