Season 4: episode 4 ''Unseen secrets'' (Part 1)

Once Magnus was done 'redecorating' the outskirts of her room, they had a briefing in the ops center, without Clary, to ensure she wouldn't be under the influence of any sounds. ''Is there any way we can contact the Angels without angering them?'' Simon asked as he stood there, arms crossed. Jace shook his head. ''No, even Cleophas didn't dare to summon an Angel again before all this happened, let alone that she'd be willing to do that now.'' Izzy nodded, agreeing with Jace. ''He's right, having any form of communication with the Angels might make it all worse. We can't have that, not that we've just gotten her back.'' Even letting Clary summon them would be too risky.

It left them with no other option then to wait it out, hoping that the Angels would somehow contact Clary. Or maybe it was something she had to learn to live with. Though, what kind of life would she have living like this, where even the slightest of sounds could make her forget about everything again. After the briefing, which was more a waste of time than useful, Jace entered her room and watched as she was sketching. She looked up at him. ''It's finally starting to make sense why I made those paintings when I did. I never understood why I made them, what the drive was, but having my memories back... I know why.''

He sat down next to her and looked at the sketch, the demons they killed earlier. She sighed softly as she closed the sketchbook. ''I'll never become a Shadowhunter ever again, will I?'' Sadness ruled her voice as she said that. ''You never stopped being one,'' he told her, holding her hand. ''Runes or not, you'll never truly stop being a Shadowhunter.'' She looked him in the eyes, then pulled her hand away. ''But I'll be unfit for duty. I can't be trusted in the field with this... condition.'' His hand reached up to her cheek, touched it, caressed it lovingly. ''Maybe not, but right now, I'm just happy to be able to hold you again. Can't that be enough?''

She looked into his eyes as he asked her that, nodding. ''Of course, sorry. I never really thought about how all of this must've affected everyone. I mean, I missed out on everything. Alec is now the inquisitor, Izzy is the Head of the Institute, there's peace between the Downworld and our world. And I'm only learning about all of that now, whereas everyone else knew it right from the beginning.'' He rubbed her cheek with his thumb, not stopping once. ''I know, but at least you didn't miss out on everything.'' Confusion crept into her mind as she had no idea what he meant, until he got off her bed and kneeled in front of her, on one knee.

She gasped as she realised what he was about to do. ''Clary,'' he began, fighting the urge to talk too quickly. He had only one chance at this. ''From the moment I met you, I was mesmerised by you. Everything about you. Each day, you showed me that there's more to the world than being a warrior, than fighting for the safety of the world. You showed me that love exists, even though I was told that it makes you weak. We proved that statement wrong. In fact, our love so strong, is what brought you back to me. And now that I have you back, I don't ever want to let go of you again.'' He opened the small box he was holding, revealing a ring. The amethyst stone looked just like the portal shard she got from her mother. ''Clary Fairchild, will you marry me?''

She was speechless. Her heart beats out of her chest, tears formed in her eyes. Her hand was shaking, but she knew what her answer was. She knew it all along. She nodded; a tear rolled down her cheek. ''Yes, I do,'' she spoke with a voice filled with joy. He smiled as he took the finger out and slipped it onto her finger. But instead of looking at the ring, she looked at Jace. The ring wasn't the most beautiful thing she had ever seen, he was. He got back up on his feet before she hugged him. He twirled her around the room, before he put her back down. ''How long did you have this?'' she asked. He looked at her. ''The day of Alec's and Magnus' wedding was the day I was planning on asking you. Alec proposed the idea.''

The fact that they could've been married already, made her face fall. Was that why the Angels did it so quickly? Was it because they knew? Because they had to see for themselves if their love was as true as they claimed it to be? He noticed her wandering off with her thoughts, rubbing her cheek once more. ''Hey, I know you're reminiscing on the past, but I don't mind the time it took before I could ask you. The fact that I can, makes me the happiest man alive. I never dreamed it'd be possible, and you just said yes. That's all I need.'' She smiled before she kissed him passionately. A knock on the door breaks their kiss. ''Come in,'' Clary said.

The door swung open, revealing Simon. ''You've got no idea what just happened. Maia called and...'' As he walked in, he saw the way they were holding each other. ''I'm interrupting, aren't I?'' He took a step back, clearly flustered, a little embarrassed. Clary chuckled. ''It's okay, Simon. Because I also got something to tell you.'' He looked back and forth between them, until he saw Clary's hand go up, noticing the ring. ''No way... You did it?'' he asked perplexed, yet overjoyed. Jace nodded, which made Clary look at him. ''Wait, Simon knew?'' Jace looked from her to Simon, then back at her. ''Yeah, he and Alec.''

Simon ran a hand through his hair, smiling sheepishly. ''Well, technically I only knew after you lost your memories and I found him in his room staring at it, wondering why he was holding a ring and...'' He noticed Jace giving him 'the look', and sighed. ''I talk too much, as usual.'' Clary chuckled again, then stepped away from Jace. ''Tell me, what's your news?'' Simon looked at her as if he had no clue what she meant, then he nodded. ''Right, I came in to tell you that Maia just called and said that my book has been sold out!'' Clary looked confused, yet smiled. ''That's amazing news, Simon. I'm so proud of you.'' She hugged him, though she had no idea which book he meant.

Luckily Simon was smart, and he looked at her. ''You don't even know this yet. Shoot, sorry. I uhm, remember that graphic novel we worked on together? Before you got accepted into art school and you discovered the Shadow World?'' She nodded, smiling. ''Of course, I do.'' He ran out of the room, and came back within seconds, holding a copy. ''I turned it into an actual novel.'' She took it from him, smiling as she touched the cover. She then turned it around, read the back. ''Ezekiel J. Russo?'' she asked. He shrugged. ''Just my pen-name.'' She shook her head, chuckling. Then she opened the book, and on the fifth page, she read: 'For Fray.' She looked at Simon and smiled, hugging him. ''I can't wait to read it.'' He hugged her. ''All in time, Fray. All in time.''

Meanwhile, in the heavens, the Angels looked down upon the trio in Clary's old bedroom. They exchanged looks. No one spoke, just some simple nods made them part ways. There wasn't much they could do anyway in the room she was in, so they backed off for now. But they'd keep an eye on her and her friends. Any misstep, and they'd do everything in their power to find a way to reach her. For what they did to her, had a bigger purpose than she could ever imagine.

To be continued...