4 | valeria alvarez

Start from the beginning

Now all Sam had to do was let his girl know she was his imprint. But now that he was in her presence once more, that seemed much harder than it sounded. Instead of shifting and speaking with her, Sam simply drew attention to himself.

As soon as Valeria heard the short huff leave his mouth, her head snapped up. She looked at the huge, black wolf with wide eyes. She needlessly swallowed and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Oh, uh, I'm not here to spy or break the treaty or anything," she said quickly. She was hoping no wolves would come across her and make her leave. "I've just — We're doing landscapes in my art class, and I just thought it was super pretty here yesterday." Valeria flashed her rough sketch as if to prove her point. "I didn't think I was disturbing anything, b - but I can leave if you want me to."

Valeria was expecting him to growl or snarl at her, to not accept her excuse. But the wolf simply tilted his head at her explanation. He didn't look angry with her presence, which she didn't understand.

"So... should I leave?" she asked again, already ready to shove her supplies back in her backpack.

But then after a moment, the wolf shook his head.

"Oh!" she said with a grin. "I can stay? Cool."

Sam watched as she got settled again, bringing her pencil back to the paper. However, before she started drawing again, she glanced at him.

"I guess you're gonna stay and make sure I don't do anything bad, right?" she said. "Makes sense. Just, like, growl or something if you get tired and want me to leave."

As Valeria drew, her hand going faster than a regular human's, Sam stayed alert, just taking her in. Her long, dark hair was pulled back in a braid except for a few stray strands, showing off her delicate features. She was dressed in a big, blue sweater and some leggings, not caring that the grass and dirt she was sitting on would stain them.

"Are you seriously not gonna talk to her?" Seth asked as Sam kept his eyes glued to her. "I mean, you're not even gonna say 'hello' or ask her name?"

The problem was that despite Sam Uley's many talents, talking to girls was not one of them. He was shy and rigid, with no idea how to start a conversation. Even when he was with Leah, he'd have gotten nowhere if she hadn't been so assertive and bold and willing to make the first move. And Sam hadn't even looked at another girl since breaking up with Leah, let alone spoken to one.

"Jesus!" Both Seth and Sam jumped when they heard Leah through their mind link. She was on patrol with Quil. "One of you man up, shift, and ask the bloodsucker what her fucking name is."

"She's right," Quil chimed in. "This is a little sad to watch."

And then the two shut up, leaving Sam and Seth to deal with Valeria on their own.

"If you're nervous about talking to her, I can greet her," Seth offered like Leah had suggested. "She probably won't think I'm very intimidating either."

Soon, Sam was reluctantly agreeing to let Seth speak to his imprint. After giving him a few questions he could try asking, Seth was shifting back to his human self and throwing on a pair of shorts.

Valeria hadn't been expecting a boy to push through the trees and join the black wolf's side. She sat up straighter and eyed the young boy cautiously, worried that the wolf had called the boy to threaten her or something.

However, most of her worries washed away when he offered her a boyish smile.

"Hi!" he greeted brightly, waving at her across the ravine.