Chapter 21: The Wizard Within The Dark Tower

Start from the beginning

"I have Lucas with me, so I'll always be safe. He's my one and only trump card."

Roger extended his arm to pet the cat, but it almost bit his finger. "Seems that he is quite a charmer." he smiled at the cat. But Roger could feel it scowl at him. "Is he your divine beast, by any chance?"

Odette looked at Lucas. I am not your divine beast, kid. he said to her mind. I am your mentor, for pete's sake.

"Yeah, he's totally my divine beast. When I'm with him, my mana is stable, y'know? I think him and Anastasius share... a similar power? Lucas can amplify my light mana."

Because I'm the strongest wizard in the Empire, duh. Odette giggled at Lucas' little side comments. He's been living as Odette's cat for four years. They've gotten quite close.

"Fascinating," Roger complimented and observed the cat. "such an adorable little kitten. And an excellent choice of name, too. Did you know there was once a great wizard named Lucas? I've read him from history books."

"Oh? What a coincidence!" Odette beamed and pulled Lucas close.

I am not a kitten, I am a little panther, Lucas replied in his mind. The Princess heard it loud and clear.

"he's not a kitten, by the way. He's a panther.... I think."

He then paused. "What about your white dog, though? Ijekiel, was it?"

"Ijekiel is in the Palace," Odette elaborated. She could feel Lucas flinch on her lap, trying to struggle away from her grip. "him and Lucas don't get along well, but they're somewhat friends."

Roger attempted to pet Lucas, but the cat aggressively snarled at him. He could even see its little fangs. It made Roger gulp and automatically back away from Odette. She then joked about how he was such a scaredy cat, especially toward a kitten. All afternoon, Lucas simply slept on Odette's lap and the couple chatted about their current lives. Honestly? It was such a great picnic date, that none of them seem to notice that a few hours has already passed.

Their date ended when Roger's secretary approached him. That was when the young Duke cleared his throat and looked at Odette with an apologetic look.

"I'm afraid I have to go to my archery lessons, Odette."

She raised an eyebrow. Archery? "Do you even like archery?"

He stood up and nodded his head. "A bit, yes. Although I am not really training for my leisure," Roger then offered a hand for Odette to take.

"I'm doing it to train for our upcoming engagement party. Since we will be having a Hunting Festival, I want you to have the best hunt."

Odette gladly took his hand. Lucas, meanwhile, has already awoken from his nap and was now seated on the picnic mat.

"You don't have to do that, Roger. I'd be pleased with a normal party."

That was when the Princess felt a cold circular metal on her gloved hands. Roger placed something on her palm, and when he let go of her hand-- she saw it. A golden ring with a little rose quartz crystal engraved on top. Her eyes then went to Roger's hand, specifically his ring finger.

He also had the same ring.

"We are already adults, Odette. And you are my fiance." he said. "so please accept this ring as a mark of our official engagement."

----------

When Roger left, Lucas stretched his little arms. He rolled his eyes and sat on Odette's bed. "I don't like Roger. Sounds like a know it all dickhead."