Chapter 2 - Vincent Magnus

Start from the beginning

“I'm grateful, very grateful. I feel I shall thoroughly be in debt of you.”

“You shouldn't be. My friends from the guild I belong to are joining us. I hope you don't mind. They long to meet you.”

Marie smiled at him as Alyssa brought in her orange juice.

“Alyssa, I would enjoy very much, a hot cup of coffee.” He then said, turning to Marie. “Early mornings do not suit me very well at all.”

“And to eat sir?” Alyssa asked, trying to put on a slightly less common accent.

“Poached eggs and asparagus on the side. And a fresh English muffin would be my piece de resistance.”

“Ma’am?” Alyssa asked again, still trying to sound well spoken.

 “Whatever you recommend Alyssa. I haven’t the slightest idea what I should eat.”

“Alyssa, she’ll have a Parisians breakfast.” Vincent said, smiling with ease. “I don't suppose you’ve ever tried a proper Parisians breakfast? I think you’ll find it pleasant.”

Alyssa nodded, did a slight curtsey and walked away into the kitchen probably.

“Do you like your provisions here? Your maid? Is everything to your satisfaction?” Mr Magnus asked eagerly. He obviously wanted to hear Marie say about how wonderful his house was.

“Everything is perfect. Thank you for the clothes. But... “ she started, wondering about the clothes. Vincent Magnus nodded in anticipation. “May I ask, how you knew my size? Everything must have been tailor made to fit. I’ve seen the stitches.”

“Although you know barely anything about me, I know enough about you. I also know about what happened on the journey here. I thought it may have, so I bought new clothes for you.”

“And what if I hadn’t have lost my luggage?”

“Then you would have kept the clothes. As a gift from me to you.” He said easily. He smirked and looked like a young boy. He must have been about 21, as he had no wrinkles about his face.

The butler known as Larten entered the room holding a folded letter. The letters seal hadn’t been broken yet, and Marie could see the seal to be one of a rich esteemed family named ‘Saxe-Coburg’. She knew the name, but could not place it to any faces. She clasped her hands together under the table, a habit of hers when she strained to remember things. She waited whilst Vincent read through the letter.

“Ah..” He said, bringing his hand down from his chin. “Ah... Indeed...” He murmured to himself, also trying to think. He ran his hand through his tousled hair slowly, and then looked at Marie. “It seems I will be having more than one guest to stay Marie.” He paused for thought, then continued.  “ I don't know whether you’ve met a Saxe-Coburg before. Very nice people. I went to university with one of them... Albert. Noble, kind, honest... A man you could trust always.” He said, sometimes talking to himself, sometimes to Marie.

“Why are you telling me this? Is he coming to stay, this Albert?” She asked curiously.

“Yes. I know you well enough to tell you, he’ll adore you, and vice versa.” He said, his smile reappearing. “But let’s keep that to ourselves shall we?” He rose, and walked from the room. Marie guessed he was going to reply to the letter. Alyssa re-entered the room carrying two plates.

“Ma’am. A full Parisian brekky. ‘Nuff chocolate to fill a factory back in London.” She said, giving up and returning to her old accent. She laid on the table a plate of three crepes filled with chocolate, and ten sliced strawberries on the side. “’nd I know yer like yer orange, buh Master told me ter get yer the full works, so-” She set a mug down on the table. It was full of hot chocolate, and looked more like a bowl than a mug. “Enjoy.” Alyssa laid Vincent’s breakfast on the table too, and left the room.

“Excellent. Albert will be here by evening. Just in time for the party!” Marie could hear Vincent saying in the other room. Then he entered the dining room again and sat down to eat his eggs and asparagus.

Once they had both finished, he invited her to retire into his study so they could decide what they could do with the day.

“We must visit the town. Oh you’d be amazed at the bustle of it all. The Street Vendors sell everything from scissor grinding and matches, to oranges, hot gingerbread and love songs. You would love it there. But then, I need to take Albert there, so maybe tomorrow? Yes! That is what we’ll do.” Vincent said frivolously. Marie just nodded

“I wouldn’t mind being shown around the house. And I noticed that you said in your letter that you had a pool. I would love to spend some time in there.” She said after a time.

“Perfect. I shall take you for a tour now, or when you are ready.”

He showed her around his wonderful Santorini Manor. He showed her the studies, the dining rooms, the ballrooms, the guest rooms, the bathrooms – of which there were many – the tennis courts, the lake, and his expansive forest. He showed her the stables and all of his horses, including a new horse, from Italy, ‘for his precious cousin’ as he said. By this time, it was almost evening, and Larten came to collect his master to get him ready for the night to come. Alyssa did the same, and hurriedly dressed Marie in her sapphire dress and pulled her hair into a fashionable Greek bun whilst downstairs you could hear guests arriving.