III. Scavenger Hunt

Start from the beginning

Josh scanned his badge and thumb then the door clicked open. Pandora Academy's security system had intensified over break. I'm not sure why. One day, they just announced there's a newly installed system.

Once the door closes, I take off my coat, then another, and then a sweater. My parents have forbidden me to walk out of the dorm without proper clothing. Who knows what will happen if Josh finds out that I got a fever and ends up hospitalized.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"M.I.N.D," Josh responds. "Every year, they hold a scavenger hunt."

I hung the scarf against the door. "Scavenger hunt?"

Josh threw the envelope on the nightstand. "Yeah." He took off his jacket and laid it on the desk. The coat hanger is full. "It's a way for members to show off their skills or something like that."

I did a little hop, "That sounds fun."

"Yes," Josh exhales, "Only, it isn't. This little hunt brings out the worst people."

I brew some hot tea. "You mean, it brings out the worst in people?"

Josh settled down on the bed, "No. It brings out the worst people. Do you remember the first time you met the members of M.I.N.D?"

"Yeah." I pushed the button to warm up the water. "How can I forget the night when I got kidnapped for the first time?"

"Again. I'm sorry," Josh said.

"Okay," I responded. I place a teabag in each cup. "I'm a bit less upset."

"Well, that's not everyone."

I turned around, "Not everyone?"

He nods, "There are a few other club members who are either abroad or hate attending the meetings."

I tilt my head, "There were meetings?" I only remember attending the first one. I didn't know there were meetings. Aw, man. Am I kicked out?

"Yeah."

"When?"

"Every other Friday. Didn't anyone tell you?"

"No," I exaggerated. "If I knew, why would I ask you? Who was supposed to tell me?"

"Me."

Silence.

"When did you ever tell me about M.I.N.D meetings?" I ask.

"You mean, I didn't?"

"No!"

"Oh, well, it's alright. I never attend them anyways. The club members mainly gather to socialize, so it's nothing special."

I let out a groan. It's like orientation day all over again.

When the water heater beeps, I turned around and placed the cup underneath it. The scent of jasmine tea drifts into my nose. "So, the scavenger hunt?" Since I can't change the fact that I skipped every meeting of the only club I'm in, I decided to move forward.

Plus, I'm tired from track and field after school, so it's not a big loss not knowing about M.I.N.D meetings.

"Ah, yes. The scavenger hunt is literally a finding something game. You get a bunch of riddles, solve it, then get a prize if you win."

I held two cups and walked towards him, "What's the prize?"

"Ten grand."

The cups drop to the carpet.

Josh rushes towards me, "Are you okay?" He checks my legs. Thankfully, I was wearing long pants.

"D-Did you say t-t-ten grand?"