"It's a girl?" Calista gasped, covering her mouth with a hand. She considered Theia as a friend even before being tied to the Dubrovkas. Happiness radiated from her, before shifting to an unreadable expression and back with a smile. "Please send my regards to the couple."

"Thank you, Cali—Calista." there was a slight pause before Declan continued, "I suppose I should get going. I have somewhere else to be."

"This early? It does look like you certainly changed for the better." a smirk came from Arwinʼs lips. It was true. His cousin usually slept in late, especially when drinking. Once he was titled Crown Prince, he stopped his alcoholic addiction and occasionally drank it during special events. "I am glad, though. When will you assume the throne?"

"In a weekʼs time. Iʼm actually here for that matter, a meeting with a few council members. Do you plan on claiming yours soon?"

"About a month from now, on my wife and Iʼs ball. I do hope you will be able to attend. You will be King the next time I see you, cugino." Arwin noticed the way his cousin looked at him and his wife's handheld together. Declan was trying to hide the jealously in his eyes, but unfortunately, it didn't go well.

(Cousin)

He will be king in a month? Calista was surprised. She wasn't informed nor did he have the chance to tell her after what happened. That must have been the subject he wanted to talk about in private. And now it was spoiled. Something must have happened, she knew he had been pushing his coronation to the point people were getting worried for the future of the kingdom.

"As will you." he grinned, checking the time on his watch, "Until then, Arwin and Calista." The couple nodded at him. He turned back, retreating to the hall he was on his way to.

"You did not tell me you were going to be king so soon," Calista spoke softly, enough for her husband to hear but out of earshot for other people. Her heels clicked against the marble floor. "Why this early?"

"Mother and father are getting adamant. I was on my way to tell you in the garden on the safe house, but I guess I got sidetracked because of the unexpected news."

"It's also time for you to rule." she concluded, "The people of Moravell are eager for a new monarch."

"Precisely, which is why we need to discuss the future of the throne." his gaze surveyed the surrounding, his voice dropping low. "Are you ready to try again?"

The question caught Calista off guard. To be honest, she's not sure. She's still processing and it may take a while for her to recover. "Ask me in a month, and we'll see."

Arwin pursued his lips together, he did not talk about the subject further. He respected her decision, it was her body that will carry their baby. Not his.

"Are we going to announce the miscarriage to the kingdom?" she suddenly asked.

"Do you want to?"

There was a moment of hesitation, "Yes."

"I will arrange the preparations." he cast a glance at his watch, "We have an hour and a half before our appointment with the seamstress. Have you taken breakfast?"

She contemplated lying but switched her mind at the last second, "No." Without replying, Arwin took her to the dining hall, where they had the place to themselves.

──────────

THE LACE WRAPPED around her waist had gotten tighter as Ms. Edwline, the seamstress, tugged it. Calista swore she could feel her ribs in the midst of breaking. "This is getting too tight for my liking."