Mothers and their children

Începe de la început

April 6 

Tsukishima POV

When I got home, I completed all my work so I plan on spending the rest of my evening relaxing. Maybe read over some textbooks to get to know the material in advance.

Mom gets home from work, a tired look on her face.

"Hey my dear, how was your first day of school?" She walks up to me and holds my face in her hands, moving some stray strands of hair away from my forehead. She was struggling to stay on her toes so I bent down for her.

Akiteru and I got all my height from Dad, he is 6'3 after all. Mom's only 5'5, the average height.

"It was fine." I say as she sits down. Letting her tired feet relax. I go to her room and grab her hairbrush. She usually gets tired after later shifts and she likes it when Dad brushes her hair but he's away on business. 

He's an assistant for some couple who owns small food chains. Mom usually gets a little more tired when Dad's away. And with Akiteru in Sendai, it's mostly Mom and I. Dad won't be home for a little over two weeks.

When I come back she gives me a thoughtful smile.

"You're a very sweet boy." She says as she lets her hair loose from her ponytail. I start brushing through her hair as she continues to ask me about school. 

"Did you make any new friends?" She asks. I hum as a yes. I feel her grin.

"Who?" She asks.

"A girl who sits near Tadashi and I. Y/n Sugawara." I say and Mom kisses her teeth in a teasing manner.

"Oh she's in the college prep class too. Must be very smart that girl. Is she nice?" Mom asks.

"Yeah. Her and Tadashi get along well." I comment. "She's joining the volleyball team to as a manager." I say.

"If she gets along with Tadashi I know she's a sweet one. Well if this girl ends up being good friends with you, I'd like to meet her." Mom says. That was the thing about Mom. She always wanted to know who I hung around with.

I grab a hair tie from my Mom's wrist and tie her hair in a loose ponytail, making sure not together any of her bangs. She let it grow out since Akiteru moved out.

She stands from the chair and lets out a stretch. She pats my cheek with that look she always gives me when she thinks I've been good.

"You're like you Father. So serious and so sweet." She grins at me and we move to the kitchen.  

"Do you need help cooking dinner? I'll wash to so you can rest." I ask her and she sighs, taking out some peppers.

"You really are a sweet boy Kei." She tosses me a pepper. I catch it and she smiles at me again. She did that a lot, smile. Mom's good at smiling. And when she did, it made me love my mother even more, but I wouldn't say that to her out loud.

"Just chop those and we'll be good."

Mom was the one who taught me how to play volleyball, she's good at volleyball too.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

April 6 

Y/n POV

The day ended with a late dinner at 10 - ish. We all lost track of time until we realized we hadn't eaten. Mom had a closing shift today.  

Mom, Koushi and I were cleaning the dishes and kitchen. We tried to make sushi but Koushi and I ended up flicking the fillings at each other when Mom was looking away. We still ate though. We ate in the kitchen island, the apartments to smaller a table. Plus, dining tables are too fancy for kids who just dirtied themselves with salmon and tuna and veggies and soy sauce and other things that should be eaten.

Mom does the dishes, trying to look angry while Koushi and I clean the floors from any food we got onto the floor.

"I thought I raised good, r-responsible." She pauses to let out a few laughs. "Responsible children who didn't play with their food." She tries to scold but we all end up laughing at the thought of us trying tone serious.

"Hey! In my defense Kou started it. He threw my bra at me." I throw my hands up in the air and Koushi turns to me, throwing the rag in his hand to my stomach.

"You started it yesterday!" He says and I laugh.

"Well yeah cause you're a big baby who refuses to confess to Dai-chan!" I tease and Mom laughs even more.

"I didn't raise a coward!" Mom teases and Koushi sticks his nose in the air.

"It's not that simple!" Koushi defends. "I don't know if he's even into guys, girls, both." He goes on. 

"At least he knows you're into both guys and girls." Mom looks on the bright side, washing the last set of chopsticks.

"I guess." Koushi agrees. When Kou and I finish cleaning and Mom finishes the dishes she lets out a yawn.

"Hm. I'm gonna go to sleep." Mom says, she kisses me on the cheek and does the same with Kou. "Love you two." 

"Love you too."Koushi and I both say as she walks down the halls of our apartment. 

I let out a yawn too and I hear Koushi let out a small chuckle.

"Go to sleep Y/n. I'll make you a bento again for school." He smiles at me but I shake my head.

"No, no, you're tired too. Let me help." I protest but Koushi drags me to my room.

"It's fine, I'm fine, you are sleepy so go to sleep." He demands and I give up once he opens my bed room door.

"G'night, love you." I yawn.

"Love you too." Koushi pats my head and closes my door.

Since Dad died when I was 10, Koushi 12, Mom took on both roles as a parent. 

The stereotypical loving mother and carefree Dad roll. When Koushi noticed how tired and sad Mom was after Dad died, he shouldered that responsibility of also raising me and caring for my Mom. We've all mourned now but the hurt is still there and Koushi still shoulders that responsibility of me, and sometimes even Mom.

I have a good - no - amazing mother and an amazing brother. 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Thanks for reading! (▰˘◡˘▰)

The real reason why Y/n doesn't a have father is cause I don't know how to write them

Written July 3, 2021

Released July 30, 2021