hard day

summary: newt comes home after having his travel ban lift declined once again, but you're there to let him know that in the end, it will all work out

word count: 597

A/N: yes, it is short. yes, i have a maths exam tomorrow. anyway, leave requests and i'm hoping to update my doctor who fanfiction (starmaiden) at the end of this week (exam week).

-

You had been laying on the couch for the last hour, curled under a blanket with a book as the winter air frosted the windows of your boyfriend's London home. He had left in the hazy light of the early morning for the ministry. Being unable to travel internationally after New York has left the poor man struggling to figure out what to do with himself, especially after finishing his book.

Snapping your head up to the sound of the front door opening and closing, the familiar man and his blue coat walk into the living room. Instantly, you knew by the disappointed look on his face that he had been denied the lift on his ban once more.

"Denied again?" You ask softly, removing the blanket from over yourself and placing the worn out book on the coffee table. Newt nods his head, eyes trained on the floor. You lift yourself from the couch, wrapping your arms around his waist. In turn, he wraps his around you and lets his nose nuzzle into the crook of your neck.

"Theseus and Leta invited us to dinner again," he mumbles.

"I know you don't want to go," you pulled back and placed your hands on both his cheeks to force him to meet your eyes.  His own hands dropping to your hips. "But they've been inviting us for months now. We really should go, love."

"I know," Newt sighs, allowing his eyes to fall down again.

"Hey," you move one of your hands to play with the hairs on the back of his neck as he leans into your touch. "Don't get dejected. It'll all work out in the end, yeah?"

"Yeah," he allows his seafoam irises to meet yours again for a longer period of time. "Were the creatures good while I was gone?"

"For the most part. I had to chase the niffler around for a bit, but I caught him eventually," you chuckle, earning a little laugh from Newt in return. "I believe he is now asleep, cuddling the spoon I used to lure him with. Bunty is down working with the others."

"Little bugger, he can't go a day without causing trouble." Newt presses his lips to your forehead.

"Adds to his character," you shrug and allow your arms to fall back down and around Newt's waist. Your head burying into his chest. "Do you have much left to do? I want to start the fire and cuddle on the couch."

"Just need to feed a few creatures and check on the kelpie," he answers, rubbing his large hand up and down your back. "But that sounds lovely, darling."

"Ok," you pull back with a smile on your face. His attitude had picked up from when he walked in the door until now. "I'm gonna go take a shower while you finish up," you stand on your toes to place a soft kiss on his lips. His hand coming up to cup your cheek gently.

"I'll go as quick as I can," he mumbles against your lips.

"You better," you smirk and swiftly peck his lips once more, walking towards the bathroom to shower. "Oh," you turn back around, "if Bunty asks you to take off your shirt for the kelpie, you best leave it on."

"Of course, love." A radiant smile grows on Newt's face.

"Ok, go go, hurry."