[25] STUPID AND CARELESS

Start from the beginning

"From now on, we will be exercising a rigid guideline I'd assumed was clear from the beginning. I am the editor-in-chief. As such, all articles must be met with my seal of approval before they go to print, or else they don't go to print." She stated. "Understood?"

Anne nodded with a shameful expression. Miss Stacy clapped once more. "Wonderful. On the topic of our next issue, please break into groups and begin discussing what'd you'd like to see in its pages." Instructed the woman. "Anne." She nodded for the redhead to follow her to the back.

Aurelie sighed, making her way to Moody and taking a seat beside him at a desk. "What happened with you and Gilbert earlier? What happened to 'destiny?'" He whispered curiously. "Gilbert is being ridiculous. He has no right to speak on this topic that does not concern him." Aurelie replied.

"But it does concern him. It concerns all of us." Moody countered. 

"But it doesn't. Not if you aren't a girl...or a woman." Aurelie shook her head. "What Anne did, going behind our backs, was wrong, but Gilbert is failing to understand the main issue, because he mentally can not understand it." She sighed, leaning her head on the table.

"Why am I like this?" She mumbled. 

"I like the way you are." Moody assured, setting his hand down on her shoulder. "But you know that no one really likes you right now because you're defending Anne." He added quietly.

 "I don't care what other people think of me, Moody. Unless it's you or my mother, it doesn't matter." Aurelie stated.

"Oh, well...I'm not mad at you, Aura." He said, leaning his head on her shoulder. "Thanks, Moody." Aurelie smiled softly. "So, shall we write about you and Ruby?" Aurelie teased.

Moody smirked, pushing tongue to the side of his mouth with a chuckle. He hummed. "Mhm."

***

That was not the only argument regarding Anne's wrongdoings that the team would have that week. After it was revealed that the council had decided to fire Anne, and give the students a new set of rules regarding what they could and could not write, they were outraged.

Gathered in the school, Miss Stacy spoke to the students. "I wish I had better news." She sighed. "I think the best option is to play by their rules for a spell, and then, down the road, maybe they'll reconsider." She hoped.

"No one's forcing them to read the paper." Argued Gilbert. Aurelie leaned her head on the palm of her hand, looking up towards the boy who was sat on top of a desk.

"What are the new rules, anyway?" He wondered. Miss Stacy scoffed, handing him a paper. Gilbert began to read it aloud. "The weather, hat fashions, farm stories, but no references to animal husbandry." He furrowed his eyebrows.

"It's good they fired her." Moody commented. "Moody." Aurelie looked to her friend with a disappointed expression. Diana looked to him the same way. 

Diana stood up. "What did you say?"

Moody shrugged. "If Anne were here, she'd just say: 'Use your imaginations!'" Moody mocked. "And then find some way to ruin what's left of the newspaper for the rest of us."

Aurelie scoffed, shaking her head. She chose not to even speak on the matter, though she was very disappointed in Moody.

 "Hold on. Let's not forget where all this started." Gilbert spoke up.