There has to be anger for there to be happiness

Start from the beginning

"...You wrote one sentence," Basil said, disappointment evident in his voice.

"Look, I got distracted by an email!" Sunny replied, a half-lie. "I just got rejected by Othermart."

Normally Basil was sympathetic to his rejections, but the dark circles underneath Basil's eyes colored his expression with tedium instead.

"Maybe...you should focus on your courses," Basil suggested.

"I'd be happier if I got a job offer."

"Finishing high school should be your priority, not applying to jobs."

"You know I want to help you pay the rent and everything!" Sunny protested. "Do you know how bad it feels sitting here every day freeloading off your grant money?"

Those words said half-jokingly did not produce the intended effect on Basil.

It was one of the rare times Sunny saw the emotion anger appear over Basil's face.

"Freeloading?" Basil replied, raising his voice. "I choose to take care of you because I love you, and I want to hire you later. You're getting the share of my grant you deserve!"

"Sorry...I misspoke. But still, until I start working, I'm not making any money on my own, and I hate it."

"How about this? I'm paying you right now to work on getting your degree."

"What? No, I'm going to get myself a job so you don't have to pay me."

That only made Basil angrier. "I want you to stop applying to jobs for the time being and work on completing your courses. Finish high school, Sunny."

Sunny pouted. "I am not going to stop applying to jobs until I get one."

"You're not going to get many offers without a high school degree."

"I don't care!"

It made him furious that Basil wanted him to complete high school just as badly as his mom wanted him to go to college.

He was furious because he was afraid that his mom might have been right all along.

"I got a job before without a degree, I can do it again!" Sunny shouted.

Startled, Basil stepped back. "I just think you should organize your priorities around school first—"

"Why are you talking to me like you're my mom?"

"Because sometimes you make me feel like I have to treat you like a clueless kid!"

Sunny froze, stunned by those words.

I'm...being unreasonable again...

Just like all those times I've gotten angry before and done something stupid...

Basil backed down, his anger disappearing from his expression. He turned his eyes away. "I'm sorry."

"You didn't do anything wrong. I should be sorry for shouting at you," Sunny confessed, his face burning with shame.

He'd never intended to speak to Basil like that. They rarely argued, and given how far behind he was in all his courses, he knew Basil was pretty much completely right.

"Sunny, I'm still sorry. I shouldn't have called you a clueless kid."

"Ha, yeah, but that's what I am."

What have I been wasting all my time doing?

Basil staredglumly away as he sat down on their bed. "I just wanted to make sure you could pass all your courses...but if you really want to find a job right now, I won't stop you."