Dancing with the Dark Side

The wind blowing in my hair and the heavy breathing of both my horse and I was the only thing I heard as I raced through the deeply snowed forests of my father’s kingdom. When I came out of the snow covered forest, home was only a short 500 feet away. I pushed my stallion with the coat as black as midnight and hair that drug on the ground towards home, running at great speeds. OH how I love my stallion. When I returned to the castle I was greeted by Donavan, the head of the stable, who took my stallion from me and led him to a great stall that only a horse like him deserves. I walked out of the stable only to hear Donavan yelling my name.  “My princess, please do wait for me! I have news for you!” I turned, slightly irritated.

“What is this news you bring me Donavan?”

“Your mare that was bred to your stallion with the coat as black as midnight and mane that drags on the ground has foaled.”

A huge smile appeared on my face as I gathered my floor length skirts and ran back to the barn and into Annabelle’s stall. My presence was greeted by a high whinny from the great colt that had his father's coat as dark as midnight and will soon have a mane that drags on the ground where ever his great hooves touch. I walked over to my mare and praised her for blessing me with a colt of such beauty. I soon walked over to my new colt and stroked him all over. I heard a voice coming from the entrance of the stables. Turning, I saw my father, King Alexander, talking to Donavan about my stallion with a coat as black as midnight and mane that dragged on the ground. . I left my mare and new colt and walked over to my father and Donavan. “Caoimhe, my daughter! How was your ride through the forest today?” my father asked when I had approached him and Donavan.

 “My ride went well Father, nothing new along the usual trails.  I rode into a small stream with clear water- it was a beautiful sight, there were fish with scales ranging in color from white all the way to a very dark blue, almost the color of your robes.” My father was pleased with this answer and I was glad because I wanted to get back to my new colt so I could name him. My father released me and I went back to Annabelle's stall.  

Sitting on the straw bedding, I watched my colt walk around the stall and nurse from his mother. I decided I was going to name him Carney. Once he turns four years old, his father- my stallion with the coat as black as midnight and the mane that drags on the ground, will be twenty years old and I will have him retired to stud and pasture only.  That is when the training of my Carney will begin.