Matt scratched his ear in a dead giveaway of his mounting tension. “Interesting decision. Not one I would have made.”

“Nevertheless, it’s on I’ve made.”

Harper had her bushfire extinguishing voice in place and Matt felt his fists clench when he caught Frank’s murderous expression.

Easing his bulk back in his chair, his face flushed, Callum fixed narrowed eyes on Harper’s boss. “I thought you  were supposed to be the senior consultant on this account, Carter?”

He didn’t need to say anything else to indicate how he felt, and everyone in the room held their collective breaths.

A muscle in Frank’s jaw twitched, but Matt cut off any response he might have made with a single look. “Harper’s principles are admirable,” he said. He reached for an apple from the middle of the table. “Qualities I would expect any company I endorse to emulate.”

For a moment no one seemed to know what to say.

“Then get that final proposal to me quick-smart, young lady,” Callum snapped. “I want everything wrapped by race day.” He stared at Matt. “Maybe we can even announce our collaboration at your mother’s bash next Saturday night.”

Damn. If Callum was going to his mother’s party, he would expect to see Harper there.

Matt shook his head. “I play a low-key role at that event. It’s my mother’s show.”

Harper stopped torturing her breakfast. “I’ll make sure I have the proposal to you in time for an early decision, Callum.” She dabbed at her lips with her napkin and stood up. “Thank you for your hospitality and again, happy birthday.” Asshole. Then acknowledging the other occupants in the room, she walked out like a queen.

---

Harper sat beside Matteo in the car as they headed back the city, nursing a headache to end all others and a stomach that felt as if it was twisted up with her intestines.

She’d hardly slept the night before, completely mortified that Matteo had not only read how much she wanted him on the dance floor, but that he had not wanted her in return. Her embarrassment from the whole trying day had been absolute.

It was a cliché that pride went before a fall, but right now Harper was grateful for the extra cushioning. In fact, she felt so terrible she almost felt sorry for the way Frank must have felt when she had rejected him. One-way chemistry was not a pleasant thing to come face-to-face with for anyone.

“Are you okay?”

Matteo’s quiet concern in the stuffy little car was the last thing she needed.

“No, not really.” She was too tired to pretend anymore. “Frank is probably going to put me on performance management for overstepping hierarchal boundaries. Callum is livid, my promotion is most likely dead in the water, and I have the mother of all headaches.”

“If it’s any consolation, I thought you were magnificent this morning.”

This morning – but not last night… The fuck. “I was stupid.” This morning and last night.

“You’ll win Callum’s business and save the day. You’ll be a hero.”

“Thanks for the pep talk.” She rubbed her forehead and grimaced as she thought of pulling her computer out of its bag. Still, it had to be done. She had squeezed in the fear and stood up to Callum this morning – which she didn’t regret – but she didn’t want to lose her job over it, and she knew she had major sucking up to do if she wanted to get her goals back on track.