Chapter Eight: Aunt Donna

Start from the beginning

For the first time in what feels like half my life I'm given a loopy, frilly white shirt and black slacks. The vest keeps the oversized shirt tucked in while not pressing into my chest.

Downstairs in the lounge a woman dressed in inky black with a lacey veil and a creepy doll is waiting for us. Suddenly the doll jumps up and I remember that clicking noise. It makes my spine shiver. Before I know I've done it I'm hiding on the other side of mother Dimitrescu.

"He he he he he he he," The doll chatters.

"Angie, come here," The woman says. I recognize her voice from mother Miranda's cottage when I was trapped.

"Iulia dear this is your aunt Donna. And her companion Angie. Introduce yourself," Mother Dimitrescu says, chuckling slightly and petting my hair.

Angie cocks her head at me, "She looks like a mutt in men's clothes."

"She just needs a haircut is all. If you'd like I could do it," Donna says.

Before she can finish speaking I'm already shaking my head.

"Why not dear?"

I shift, still hiding behind mother Dimitrescu, "Because when mother Miranda had me in her lair I heard the two of you."

"I'm sorry about that. I promise, I'm not particularly fond of mother Miranda. I-I was only there because of an injury actually. You just happened to be there and," Donna's voice trails off. It chokes off really and I can see how she shifts in her seat. "I won't deny that I'm envious Alcina. She's a doll. Ugh- No pun intended."

"She's a dog!" Angie shrieks.

"Is that thing alive or controlled by a tiny mouse?" I glare at it, figuring it would be easy to snap into little pieces.

Donna suddenly hugs the doll close to her body.

"Don't touch it," Mother Dimitrescu says grimly, "Donna is a master tailor. In light of what happened this morning this is an ideal time to ask a favor."

"Clothes?"

"Shirts. Specifically they mustn't touch her chest."

Donna nods, "I remember. Let me take some measurements then."

I stand on a stool while Donna measures me from toe to clavicle. Despite all the etiquette lessons I still can't believe how many measurements need to be taken. If mother Dimitrescu's face is anything to judge by, neither can she.

"Tell us about your family."

I frown slightly, "I don't think that's safe. With all due respect, I'll pass on that one."

"I insist that you do dear. I'd like to hear what you think of me," Mother Dimitrescu says, reclined comfortably in a lounge chair.

Unsure what exactly it is the lady is wanting to hear I look her dead in the eye and hope she won't kill me in front of aunt Donna.

"You're very poised, overbearing, and overprotective. Occasionally you terrify me but other times I'm glad I'm on the good side of that terrifying power. I'm especially thankful to be with you rather than mother Miranda."

"Hmm," Mother Dimitrescu picks up her cigarette, "Either you're a terrific liar or you're telling the truth and a fool."

"You didn't raise me up until this point, it wouldn't be you who raised a fool," I say, "Aunt Donna what are you doing?"

"Measuring you for a coat. If the other girls ever come back then being outside may be the only safe place for you," Aunt Donna murmurs as she measures across my shoulders from behind and then around my neck, "Of course there is always room at my castle if you would like-"

If it wasn't obvious how possessive mother was before aunt Donna understands now as she unsheathes a single claw and pins Angie by the neck. We all come to a painful standstill.

"Be careful Alcina, I have a thread very close to her throat and it's not that hard to collapse a trachea," Donna's voice comes out in a dead tone. I swallow and slowly lift my hand until she measuring tape comes tight against my skin.

"I can put mine back together, can the same be said for your fragile excuse for a child?"

"Let me go!"

Exactly what happens I'm not sure. In a blur I'm swept off the footstool and held securely in mother's arm with her claws bared towards Donna who is holding Angie away, clutched tightly to her body.

"I thought losing your daughters might give us something to bond over, but obviously you didn't care about them nearly as much as a real mother would!"

With that Donna storms from the room, slamming doors echoing as she leaves.