Lesson II - On the ring's edge

Ugh...did it have to be tomorrow? I need to tell Fuutarou about this.

It's Friday ladies and gentlemen, and tomorrow is the day. The day of the MMA Nationals Round of 16. I have a tutoring session programmed with the quints but I can't forfeit the match. It's the first step on the road to winning the tournament for the 3rd time in a row, I just hope this new job hasn't made me lose focus.

Indulging in such thoughts while walking to school, I fail to notice the pink-cherry haired beauty leaning on a fence, almost as if she was waiting for someone.

I was going to discover that the someone she was waiting for was me. "G-gabriele-kun?"

"What is it, Ichika? If it's about the tutoring session today, Fuutarou's taking care of it."

"Just listen for a moment...I know you won't attend tutoring and you'll ask Fuutarou-kun to cover for you."

I widen my eyes. "Damn, woman. How do you even know about that?"

"But of course, the MMA nationals, is it not?"

I only sigh, nodding in confirmation.

Play Ichika and Gabriele's theme song – Hot girl bummer by blackbear

"I know about that since after you left. I stumbled upon this video of 'a local prodigy humiliates the reigning prefectural champion and qualifies for the National Tournament' and I've been a fan of yours ever since."

"I see. Have you ever been to one of my matches in person?"

She fidgets unconfortably and stutters, blushing a bit. "N-no, I didn't have the courage to face you, not alone at least. But now destiny has reunited us! Listen, no session tomorrow, let's just go cheer you up!"

I shake my head and glare. She gulps and I continue to speak.

"Absolutely not. The ring is the only place I don't have to think about you and how to drag your idiot asses to graduation. It's my sanctuary, where I'm free from responsibility and I can pretend nothing has ever happened."

"I...I understand. I'll cheer for you regardless, because I love you."

"I know. I still resent you, though. If you work hard enough maybe you lot can be forgiven. Only then, maybe, and I say MAYBE I can find it in myself to love you back."

"Then I can guarantee we won't disappoint you!" She winks, a flirty look in her eyes. I just roll my eyes and shove her away. "Personal space, Ichika..."

"Hai, hai!"I swear, Gabriele-kun! I will be the best out of all of us and confess to you first! Then, you'll look at me, only at me!

End the song.

TIMESKIP TO LUNCH

Fuutarou and I sit at our usual spot. The quintuplets sitting at the table next to us had caused quite the uproar the first week or so, but the cafeteria background characters got used to it quickly. Especially considering what happened to the couple of guys stupid enough to make a fuss about it.

Flashback

"Heya cuties! Why don't you ditch these two losers and have fun with us?"

"Yeah, I bet they don't have the balls for sluts like you!"

Yotsuba and Miku shift in their seats, clearly uncomfortable. Fuutarou tries to diffuse the situation. "Please, we're trying to have lunch here. And the girls are uncomfortable."