Chapter 11: Healers

Start from the beginning

Cassie sat down in the chair and the other two returned to their old seats. "I was just telling Neville about- Oh Cassie, dear, are you alright? You look so pale. Do you need me to get you anything? Are you feeling faint?" Hannah looked at her worriedly.

"No, no, I'm fine. It'll pass," she mumbled and slummed down slightly in her seat. "You were saying?" What if it was a date? What if she interrupted their date? A nasty feeling ran through her body and it made her shiver. Why was she jealous?

"Oh, I was just telling Neville about how my meeting with Madam Pomfrey went. I'm training to be a Healer you see and I wrote to Madam Pomfrey a while ago because I need an internship to continue my training. We just spoke about the details! I start next week," Hannah said happily.

Cassie's heart and stomach dropped. First of all, that meant Hannah would be around all the time and even though Cassie couldn't date Neville, she didn't want to see him date Hannah either - which even she agreed was a little selfish. Second of all, if Hannah worked with Madam Pomfrey now, would she find out about her lycanthropy? Cassie didn't want that.

"That's- That's wonderful, Hannah!" she said, trying to sound excited. "I should really leave though. I just wanted to ask Neville something but I don't want to intrude on your dat- catch up." She stood up again but Hannah shook her head.

"Oh no! You're not intruding anything, right Nev?" Nev. Nev. Cassie called Neville Nev. Cassie did, no one else. She felt possessive, jealous and he wasn't even hers. He could never be hers. Neville nodded. "Besides, I want to hear about your life too! What have you been up to?" She sat down again.

"Nothing special. I've just been working here as Potions Professor since I finished school," she said casually, still avoiding Neville's gaze. It must have been a hallucination. Why would he tell her they would talk later if Hannah would come? Perhaps it was to show her that she's not special and that he can move on quickly. No, Neville would never be that cruel.

"Neville told me it's really odd but also quite nice to teach here! And he also told me that everybody here loves you and that you're everyone's favourite professor! What's your trick to get them to like you?" Hannah smiled.

"Oh, yeah it is nice, and also odd. But I don't do anything special. And I'm not their favourite professor." She shrugged her shoulders. She wished she stayed in bed a little longer. Hannah furrowed her eyebrows together for a second, looking a bit concerned but Cassie looked away.

"You are. Trust me, Hannah, she's just downplaying how good she is. Everyone loves Cass the best. The Potions professor is everyone's favourite; Far, far different from when we went to Hogwarts," Neville spoke up, finally. He and Hannah chuckled a little about his remark on their previous Potions professor.

She swore that she heard his heart skip a beat as he looked over at Hannah.

It can't be a surprise that he moved on so quickly. Who would sulk about a werewolf like you? A monster like you? Come on, Cassie. Who are you fooling? Neville's too good for you. Everyone's too good for you. You're bottom of the ba-

"Cass?" Neville snapped her out of her thoughts. Her nails had dug into the armrests of the chairs, her jaw had tightened and she was staring at the wall. She quickly loosened her grip again and relaxed her jaw.

"Hm?" she hummed. Neville tilted his head slightly and then turned to Hannah again.

"Hannah, can we catch up next week? I would like a moment to speak to Cassie," he said softly to her and she immediately stood up.

"Of course! Of course, no problem," she said kindly. Cassie stood up too and shook her head.

"I'm the one who interrupted your tea. I should be the one leaving. I'm fine. It was nice seeing you again, Hannah. I will see you around, I assume. Neville," she gave them both a short nod before marching over to the door. She could hear both their hearts beating fast.