EP. 14 - OMNIBEV

THE TRIO AROSE EARLY on Friday to meet with OmniBev, but they first wanted to check the number of streams and downloads of Control Freak's interview.

"Over thirteen million combined," Peter choked in disbelief. "I can't handle my media anymore, either email or social. I assume you guys are the same?"

"I don't even glance at it. Too many requests and too little time, much less the usual loonies," Molli confessed.

"Two national networks called me, Molli, while you were washing your hair during your usual morning sabbatical in the bathroom."

"Hey," she complained, "at least I have hair."

"Ouch!" Ears winced, glancing at Peter's balding head.

"I'll get you back later," he grimaced. "They want to do segments with us, like ten-minute interviews. We're getting noticed, but I'm not sure if that's good or bad."

"And better yet, or worse yet, that conspiracy storyline of Stu's is hitting the national and international feeds. You shouldn't search on that podcast right now because you'll hear cuts of your lilting voice. It'll fry your board," Ears added.

"Back to business," Molli commanded. "We're running BioEthel today at four on our special day. Ears, you confirmed our interview today with OmniBev?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"And you're good with the list of questions, Peter?"

"Indeed, ma'am."

"Okay, then does anyone know where we're headed this morning?"

"I do," Ears replied, "and I asked your two kung fu buddies to tail us. Let's hit it and hope we can avoid our new fans at the gate."

The three arrived at OmniBev's location, a centuries-old red brick building at the shipyard. After ensuring Molli's protectors also arrived without incident, they walked up a modern metal staircase to the second floor. It was a large office converted to a studio condo, empty in the front room except for a short-legged white table surrounded by four white, modern chairs. The trio entered.

"Hello?" Ears yelled. "We're here."

"Okay," a woman's sultry voice responded. "I'll be there in a minute."

Ears noticed that one of the chairs differed from the others, integrating a distinct, softball-sized hole between the seat and chairback.

"Humam hybrid," Molli surmised, referring to the relatively new human-mammal genetic mixes.

"Guess so," Ears confirmed. "Seeing a bit more of that among the clipper varint class lately. Very trendy."

A tall, slender woman entered the room. She was dressed in a tight, white leather jump suit with short sleeves and pant legs that stopped mid-calf. Spiked, white heels amplified her height.

"Expensive," Molli thought, "everything about her is expensive."

They introduced themselves, but it was only when she turned to sit in her chair that Peter caught a better view of her tail and mane. Seductive and shimmering, the mane's auburn hair protruded two inches from her neckline. Her petite, three-foot long tail was adorned with the same hair and curled at the end.

Peter was dying to ask her how long she'd been a hybrid, as he knew this degree of refined geedee tech had to be very recent. In sophisticated circles, however, he knew it was considered impolite to ask or take notice of such varint augmentations.

Molli placed the Sony on the table, and Peter began the interview.

"Our internal name for you was OmniBev, as in Omni-Benevolent, meaning friendly across animal types. We'll call you 'Bev,' if that's okay. In this series we're running, we focus on various responses to the latest events in the news, particularly the obelisk. But I don't want to discuss only that topic since it has consumed the media and is almost boring at this juncture. We also intend to cover other aspects of new tech from a varint's perspective."