(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟕) life and death

Start from the beginning

"It's been fourteen years Kenny" Athena frowned in annoyance, "of course I'm upset... for twelve of those fourteen years I was completely alone and all that time you were out there just—"

"Don't make it out like I've had it easy" Kennedy snapped.

"You've made it harder on yourself"

"Being bitten by a werewolf and told that I have five years left to live is bad enough!" Kennedy yelled suddenly, "Nothings ever as easy for me as it is for you, you had a nice family to go to, you had Remus"

"I didn't have Remus"

"That's not my fault" Kennedy continued, "I had to leave Rena, I couldn't stay after everything that happened or they would have arrested me too"

"You could have at least told me that you were ok" Athena muttered bitterly, "I went twelve years with nothing from you, no letter, no sign that you were even alive... you know every Christmas I lit a candle for you because I thought you were dead"

"Oh save me the sop story" Kennedy groaned, "I was better off dead and you were better off thinking that"

"How can you say that, how can you possibly think that?"

"Because it's true, you've done perfectly fine without me"

"I wasn't fine... I was the opposite of fine!" Athena shouted, "my whole life was over, everyone was gone... either dead... arrested or ran away because things got too hard but I was expected to stay and pick up the pieces just like always"

"I'm not saying you deserved what you went through" Kennedy sighed, "but me being there for you wouldn't have made a difference"

"How could you know that?"

"Because you made it without me"

"Not for lack of trying" Athena snapped.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I only made it because there was no other option" Athena glared angrily, "because when I tried to throw myself off the astronomy tower the world had other plans for me... I can't die Kennedy, not until this fucking war is over"

"Guess our problems are completely opposite" Kennedy sighed, "you don't have a choice of death and I don't have a choice at life. I suppose it's never fair, is it?"

"You should tell Sirius you're going to die"

"It's nothing to do with you—"

"I was your best friend!" Athena yelled, "does that mean nothing to you?"

"It's been fourteen years Athena... fourteen... that's not just a small holiday that's nearly half our lives, a lots changed"

"You had no problem making things right with Sirius"

"I haven't made anything right with Sirius" Kennedy shook her head, "I'm helping him solve this problem with Harry and then I'm leaving again"

"You can't do that"

"Why not?" Kennedy asked sharply.

"Sirius loves you... don't you love him? You're married"

"He's been gone for fourteen years" Kennedy shrugged, "things happen"

"If you only have five years to live don't you want to spend it with the people who love you?" Athena asked, "don't you want to know that you left them with a good memory of you... because if you leave all we'll remember is the girl who ran away when things got too hard"

Kennedy paused, not looking Athena directly in the eye as they made it to the bottom of the winding path.

"Goodnight Rena" she said finally, "I presume you can make it back from here"