Blind

Neverending valley, please spare my tally.

"Let's try a tally with him!" a cheerful, young voice rang out.

"With who? You mean Pine?" another pup replied, glancing over at the wolf whom they were referencing.

"What's...what's a 'tally?'" Pine asked in complete confusion. For being a group of 4-month-olds, Pine still hadn't understood all of these pretend games that the pack pups were playing. They sure had lots of running and chasing games, which made for a lot of fun and practice, but then there were games...like these. All they meant to him were more pack behaviors he would have to learn.

The she-pups around him seemed to think over the idea, glancing at the caretakers to make sure they weren't watching. Whatever this game was, it seemed to be far more entertaining than the rest; now they had Pine's full and undivided attention.

He watched as the other two boys sat down next to each other, unable to hold back their mischievous laughter. They both closed their eyes and sat perfectly still, muzzles lifted, as if sitting proudly—kind of like alphas. The pup who originally presented the idea nudged Pine, and said, "What are you waiting for? We're taking a tally!"

"A tally?" Pine asked again, intrigued, but growing mildly nervous.

"The caretakers aren't watching, don't worry," the she-wolf reassured him, nudging him again toward the two sitting wolves. "Don't you know what a tally is?"

"Jewel," another girl interrupted, "He's new, I don't think he knows how a pack works, yet."

Pine couldn't keep from lowering his head at the comment; it was bad enough that he looked different from everyone else, but being a stranger in addition? It was almost too much for the young wolf to take.

"Oh...well, we'll have to show him!" Jewel said excitedly, watching Pine. She playfully pushed his chin back up, and said, "I promise you'll like it."

"O- Okay," Pine reluctantly agreed, standing up and moving where she pushed him. He ended up next to the other two males, sitting down beside them, and faking a smile for Jewel while she watched him.

"Now close your eyes," Jewel said, watching him closely. "And no peeking!"

Pine quickly obeyed; he certainly wasn't going to be the one to ruin whatever game this was.

He could still smell Jewel standing in front of him, watching him closely. The other she-wolf laughed, and said, "Lift up your chin, Pine; you're supposed to look like a high-rank." She spoke encouragingly, but Pine was still uneasy. He did as he was told, getting another reply from the pup. "That's better!"

Jewel took a few steps back from the others, but noticed a problem. "Rain, we need another girl now...we're unbalanced."

It took a minute, but before Pine could figure out what was going on, he heard another voice join the group.

"Hi April," one of the wolves next to Pine said. He must've recognized her by scent.

"Hey," the she-wolf replied. The short welcome didn't seem to delay the game much. "Are we ready?" April asked.

Pine, still entirely unaware of what he was getting into, nodded in response.