Mastering the Elements

'So, we meet again, human.' Vaatu hovered over the little village one the Lion Turtle. 'Why is the great spirit of the darkness here but not his other half?' The nomad asked. Wan flinched nervously. 'Uh, I'll explain later.' He looked up to Vaatu.

'Leave these people in peace. They've done nothing to harm you.' Wan continued to fight off the dark spirits attacking the people.

'Be gone!' A familiar voice shouted and a ball of light appeared and pushed Vaatu away. 'How are you feeling since our split? I've never been better. When Harmonic Convergence comes, I will destroy you forever.' And with that, Vaatu flew away.

'I told you not to interfere.' Raava said. 'I had to do something. These people were in danger.'

The nomads walked up to Raava. 'Great spirit of light, we thank you for your help. But how did you become split from Vaatu?'

'Ask him.'

Everyone looked at Wan. 'This wasn't my fault. Vaatu tricked me into freeing him. I'd take it all back if I could.'

'It's too late for that. Now that Vaatu is free, he is turning other spirits dark. The more spirits he turns, the stronger he becomes.'

'He's getting bigger, and you're getting smaller.' Wan realized. 'As darkness grows, light fades.' Wan hung his head in shame. 'I'm sorry for endangering your village, but I promise to set things right.'

'How?'

'Great lion turtle, I ask that you grant me the power of air so that I can defeat Vaatu before it's too late.' Wan said to the Lion Turtle looking down at him. 

'You already carry the power of fire. No human has ever held two elements at the same time.'

'I'm not like the other humans. I can learn to do it.'

'Hmm, perhaps. But to do so, Raava must hold the power for you until you master it.'

'Ancient One, why would I do that for a human? Especially one who's caused so much trouble?'

'Raava, please, I can't let the world fall into chaos because of my mistake. Neither of us can defeat Vaatu alone, but together we have a chance.' Wan pleaded.

'You may be right. Very well. I will help you master the power of air.'

'Thank you. And I return, I will help you restore balance to the world.'

xxxxxxxxxx

'What's this harmonic thing Vaatu was talking about?' Wan asked as the three -Wan, Raava, and Mula- walked through deserted lands.

'Harmonic Convergence. That is when Vaatu and I must battle for the fate of the world.' Raava explained. 'How long do we have until then?' Wan asked. 'About a year in your time.'

'Then we better start training.' He let out a small puff of fire. 'Alright, I'm ready to try air.' Raava stood there, clearly unamused. 

'Well, it was worth a shot trying to make you laugh for once.' Wan shrugged. 'This isn't a joke, Wan. The world is in danger and you're here making jokes?' Wan put his hands up in surrender. 'Sorry, sorry.'

After a long time of training, Wan felt ready. 'Alright, now I'm ready. How's this gonna work?'

'The only way for me to give you the other element is to pass through your body and combine our energies.' Raava said. 'Great. So you've done this before.'

'No. This has never even been attempted. It is very dangerous.' Raava kept a straight face, but her blue eyes looked troubled, like she wanted to defeat Vaatu but didn't want to risk Wan's life. 'That's what they said about living in the Spirit Wilds, and I survived that. I'm ready. Give me the air.'

Raava turned into a ball of light and Wan suddenly felt a great rush of energy in his whole body. Raava turned back into her human form and balanced herself, though she looked a little pale. Wan punched the air and a cloud appeared. 'It feels completely different. If you and Vaatu have the same fight every ten thousand years, why hasn't one of you destroyed the other?'

'He cannot destroy light any more than I can destroy darkness. One cannot exist without the other. Even if I defeat Vaatu in this encounter, darkness will grow inside me until he emerges again. The same will hold true if Vaatu defeats me.'

'That doesn't sound so bad. Even if Vaatu wins, you'll come back.'

'Yes, but you will probably not survive to see it. Vaatu will destroy the world as you know it. Darkness will cover the Earth for ten thousand years.' Raava screamed in pain and fell to her knees. 'Raava!' Wan rushed next to her to help her, but she held her hand up. 'I'm fine.'

Ignoring her, he helped her up and waited until she could stand on her own. 'What's happening?' Raava sighed sadly. 'Like I said, Wan. As darkness grows, light fades.'

'If I'm gonna help you battle Vaatu, then I should visit more lion turtles.' 

Next was the Water Lion Turtle. The Lion Turtle gave Wan the power of water. As soon as he mastered that, they moved on to the Earth Lion Turtle, who emerged from under the sand. One day, Wan was practicing his waterbending when he asked Raava, 'Why is there so much conflict between humans and spirits in the first place?'

'This physical world is where humans come from. Spirits come from another realm. At the north and south poles, the two realms intersect. Over time, more and more spirits have drifted into this world. Humans have been forced apart, settling on the lion turtles who protect them and losing touch with each other.' She answered.

'Most people think they live in the only human city in the world.'

'Most people think only of themselves, not matter how many others are around.' Raava shakily stood up, gathered up all her strength and passed through Wan, allowing him the power of earth. 'When you pass through me, I feel an incredible rush of power. I feel like I'm changing. The more we practice, the stronger I become.' Wan sniffed the air. 'Smells like smoke.'

'Humans are nearby.' Raava said uneasily. Wan looked at the forest. 'Lets check it out.'