Lightning Before The Thunder

Start from the beginning

Somehow, it become lonelier after learning about Tempest. Normally, the cold and silent nights made Foolish cling to the window to grasp some semblance of action. The apartment at the Heroes Association had been empty for far too long, Foolish concluded, since SapNap and George no longer stayed there and Dream refused to speak with Foolish outside of work. Now, however, Foolish knew he was a replacement. XD didn't want Foolish to be a better hero or for him to learn new skills under Dream, he wanted Foolish to permanently take over as the sidekick. He wanted Foolish to find a way to be the link that Tempest was to keep this team together. Foolish couldn't stand thinking about it.

"Hello," A person whispered. Rose petals filled the air, swirling together in a pink tinted wind that cleared to reveal the woman that had found Foolish all those months ago. She had become Foolish's friend, probably the only person that cared about him as a person. "I'm sorry I'm here late at night."

"It's fine," Foolish gave Hannah a bright smile as he placed the empty glass on the small table he pulled up to the huge windows with a cushioned outlining that allowed people to sit. A stout bottle with a orangeish brown liquid inside it sat half empty beside the glass. Foolish hadn't drank half the whiskey in one night. This had been the product of a few days.

"I see that you are still drinking. I never imagined this is what you would use your hero work money for," Hannah said as she walked over to Foolish, sitting across from him, her back against the glass while her feet swung off the cushion. Hannah waved her hand, and a vine encircled the bottle, a bright red rose blossoming against the opening.

"Your powers can be so beautiful," Foolish muttered as his fingers skimmed the surface of one of the outer petals of the rose. Foolish let his hand fall down to the vine, intentionally pricking his finger on a sharp thorn. "Yet deadly."

"I have never killed someone with my powers," Hannah remarked with a coy smile. "I would rather call it dangerous than deadly for that reason."

"That's true. There are far more deadly powers out there. I met someone who could fatally poison someone with a single touch," Foolish told Hannah with a slight frown.

"I know it's getting harder, Foolish. I'm sure that you can quit now. What happened was a mistake, and you've done enough good to be assured that countermeasures are in place," Hannah shook her head. She had been here a few times to see Foolish's alcohol addiction get worse while his smile darkened each time he tried to show it.

"That isn't what I'm worried about," Foolish muttered with a quiet, humorless laugh. Foolish reached for the whiskey bottle, but the rose snapped up from where it rested, thorns jutting it out even larger than before. Foolish pulled his hand back into his lap.

"It isn't your fault. You didn't demand that XD kick that poor boy to the streets, and you never intentionally asked for this position. Nothing that has occurred as been your fault," Hannah reasoned with Foolish without having to look to know that he reached for the bottle.

Foolish sighed, pulling his knees up to his chest while leaning against the glass, colors from far below burning in his emerald green eyes. "It doesn't stop the hurt, Hannah. It doesn't stop the guilt. It doesn't make sleeping at night any easier. There is a difference between knowing a fact and believing it."

Hannah looked at him sadly. She took a deep breath. "There is nothing that I can say that I haven't already that will make you feel better. You already know that I'm always here for you. You already know that I would do anything for you. To that end, there may be someone you could speak with. I'll find some way to convince Tempest to speak with you."

"What?" Foolish suddenly perked up from his seat. He shot forwards, his knees hitting the cushioning as he looked straight into Hannah's own green eyes. It was a staring contest for a minute before Foolish repeatedly himself, "What?"

"When the Egg was living rent free in my head, it pushed me to find Tempest. Against the Egg's wishes, I asked Tempest to help me exterminate the vines from myself. In exchange for him doing that, I'm keeping his identity a secret. We had another deal where I had Alyssa deal with the files regarding him breaking into the Holy Lands to get the Holy Water for me while he returned what I stole from Unfound," Hannah explained.

"When were you going to tell me about this? Not only was that dangerous, you didn't think it would be good if someone knew in case things went awry?! And you spoke to Tempest without telling me? I have been feeling like a condemned that person to Hell this entire time!" Foolish exclaimed in a voice far too loud since Dream was somewhere asleep in the apartment.

"To be fair, he isn't doing great finically. He does have amazing friends on the bright side," Hannah laughed as she placed a hand through Foolish's hair with a soft smile. "I need to get going. Please, stay safe."

Hannah stood up. She grabbed the whiskey bottle as she turned to walk backwards. Before Foolish could demand the bottle back, a pink wind of rose petals took Hannah away. Foolish shook his head with an amused smile as he looked back out the window.