𝟬𝟮𝟲 the eye of the storm

Start from the beginning

     Kiara simply frowned in response, not seeming too bothered by JJ's grand speech. "It's kind of a junker." She deadpanned, causing for Nova to nod her head in agreement, neither of them really understanding the significance of the boat. Of course, it didn't take long for JJ to stare back at the duo with an unamused look plastered across his face.

     "Really? She's right there, Kie. She can hear you." JJ argued, causing for Nova to stifle her laughter as an attempt to hold back her amusement. "Let's just put it this way. You would not be smoking weed right now if she never existed, okay?" He inferred, earning an eye roll from Kiara in response as she approached the boy.

     "I just hope it runs." Kiara shrugged.

     JJ nodded his head in response, grabbing ahold of the winch so he could attach the boat to Kiara's car. "Oh, no, she'll run all right. She's faster than any cutters the boys in blue got." He answered, giving Nova a spark of hope that maybe The Phantom was exactly what John B needed in order to get himself off the island so he could be free from the cops hunting him down like an animal. The sooner they got the boat to the docks, the better.

     Suddenly, a loud and vigorous rumble of a motorcycle engine ripped harshly throughout the air, signalling that someone else had arrived to the warehouse. Nova knew the most logical explanation was that it had to be Juno and Pope, knowing they were suppose to show up at any given moment. This realisation was enough to make Nova sigh with relief, her bright eyes flickering between JJ and Kiara for a moment when she saw they had both heard the rumbling engine slowly approaching the warehouse too.

"That must be Juno and Pope." Nova insinuated, knowing it couldn't have been anyone else.

Nova walked past JJ and began to make her way into the opposite direction with Kiara following close behind her as they made an attempt to leave the warehouse and meet up with Juno and Pope. However, Nova was left in a state of shock when none other than Rafe Cameron came around the corner, his familiar features and the harsh look that burned bright in his eyes being enough to make Nova's blood run cold, her bones turning into chilling ice. After the last time they encountered one another, Nova was left in a state of fear, a twinge of worry erupting in the pit of her stomach whilst spine tingling trepidation shook the girl to the core.

     "Hey, there." Rafe greeted, his rough voice causing for Nova to swallow thickly. She knew he had followed them all the way out here for a reason, and whatever the reasoning behind his endeavours was, Nova was scared to find out. "What's going on? How you guys doing?" He pressed further, jumping onto the boat for a moment before he dropped back down.

     Nova made an attempt to turn around, knowing they all had a better chance at getting away from Rafe if they just left the boat and ran for the car. But a sharp whistle echoed loudly through the air, causing for Nova to look ahead to see Barry making his way into their view, a smirk tugging at the corners of his lips. "Well, well..." He mused, his sick and sadistic smile making Nova's stomach churn.

     Suddenly, Barry cocked the gun in his hand and pointed it at JJ's chest, the sight of the deadly weapon being enough to make Nova release a shaky and harrowing breath past her quivering lips. Nova's eyes flickered over to JJ who had raised his hands, knowing they had no choice than to submit to whatever demands Rafe and Barry had. They were left defenceless in the middle of an incredibly dangerous situation, the sight of the gun being pointed at JJ's chest being enough to make Nova part her lips so she could speak.

     "JJ..." Nova breathed out, her voice barely above a whisper.

     "Hey, just stay behind me, okay?" JJ told her in a reassuring voice, trying to ease Nova's worries and hide his own.