𝟬𝟮𝟲 the eye of the storm

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I'm fine. My dad was on my case, but it was nothing I couldn't handle." Nova answered, deciding it was best to leave out the gory details for now, like her suspicions about Riley. Her reassuring voice was enough to bring a ghost of a smile to JJ's face, before he leaned forward and planted a short and sweet kiss to her lips. When he pulled away, Nova looked past him to see Kiara staring at them with a smile of her own tugging at her lips, causing for Nova to turn her attention back to JJ, her brows furrowing together. "What about—"

"Kie figured it out after you left The Wreck earlier." JJ informed her, cutting her off as he removed his hands from her face, his warmth of his touch leaving her skin. JJ's words made Nova roll her eyes, a twinkle of amusement burning bright in her eyes. It was clear neither her or JJ were good at hiding their secret from the rest of their friends.

     Nova let out a quiet chuckle, shaking her head as she tilted her head up to stare deeply into JJ's blue irises. "So much for being discreet then?" She asked in a rhetorical manner. JJ couldn't help but laugh in response to Nova's words as he leaned in closer to give the girl another kiss, the boy trying to close the gap between him and Nova.

"Can you lovebirds press pause on the honeymoon for a moment so we can help out our friend?" Kiara Carrera's familiar voice ripped through the air, interrupting the couple.

When they heard those words leave Kiara's lips, JJ pulled away from Nova and turned around to face the girl whilst Nova looked ahead to see Kiara was staring back at them, waiting for them to join her so they could get the boat and bring it out onto the water. Nova smiled as her eyes shifted from Kiara to JJ, the boy looking back at her with a smile, the couple exchanging a few amused glances, before JJ nodded his head and made his way over towards the front door to the warehouse, causing for Nova to follow close behind.

     "So..." Kiara trailed off, walking beside Nova as the girl followed JJ closer towards the warehouse door. "You and JJ, huh?" Nova glanced over at Kiara to see the corners of her lips tweaking upwards into a smirk, the girl wriggling her brows as her dark eyes flickered between Nova and JJ.

     Nova shrugged her shoulders, sparing Kiara a look as she continued to smile. "Yeah, it just kinda happened, I guess." She replied, butterflies erupting in the pit of her stomach once again when she thought back to the events that occurred between her and JJ the night before outside The Wreck in the middle of the dark night.

"Well, I like you guys together." Kiara told her truthfully. "At least now I won't have to listen to him pine over you like some puppy." She mocked, earning a giggle from Nova in response.

"I heard that, Kie." JJ deadpanned, looking over his shoulder and sparing the girls a quick glance, before he unlocked the warehouse and opened up the door, a loud rustle coming from the chipped and rusted metal as JJ dragged it across.

     When Nova followed JJ inside the warehouse, she lifted her gaze to see the famous boat JJ had been going on about since last night — The Phantom. Nova continued to stare at the boat in all of its glory, listening as JJ whistled at the sight of it, a look of admiration glimmering in his eyes bright, blue eyes whilst he continued to approach the boat, the boy lifting his hand to touch the exterior with a small smile forming across his face in the process.

     "There she be. Hey, girl." He whispered to the boat, causing for Nova and Kiara to glance at each other, the pair exchanging a few looks, before they turned their attention back to JJ. "A 1983 Formula 402 SR1. The Phantom." He chimed, turning his attention over to the girls, both Nova and Kiara simply shrugging their shoulders in response. "The first boat to make the run to Bermuda in under sixteen hours, you guys. Forty years old. Forty. And still the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen." He elaborated further, growing silent as he waited for a response from Nova or Kiara.