Bright Eyed Girl

This story starts in a far happier place than I could ever foresee it turning into. When Hogwarts greets me I'm a bright-eyed 17 year old full of hope and excitement for what the future would bring.

My mother and father hugged me extra tight as the Hogwarts express pulled in– knowing this would be the moment their only child together officially left the nest. I smiled reassuringly at them despite my own anxiousness.

"I'll write as much as I can, and I'll come home for the summer. Besides, you know Lupin and Sirius will look after me and they won't let me get into too much trouble," I said with a smirk, messing with the buttons on my cardigan.

My dad smiled despite himself. "Knowing the trouble we got into in our day I don't know how much trust I have in those two," he laughed.

Right on que Sirius and Lupin approached the platform. "Speak of the devil," my father commented.

"What Redtail, you don't trust us with your daughter?" Sirius joked, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Forgive me, I just don't want her getting turned into a cat or anything barbaric," my sten yet childlike father remarked.

"That was one time and for the record James drank that potion on his own accord," Lupin corrected.

"In my defense it looked like strawberry milk," James said, finding us just in time on the platform with Lily and Harry close by.

Lily rolled her eyes. "It's truly a miracle you're still alive, James."

The group laughed as they seemed to remember fond memories of their own days at Hogwarts. "You don't lose that map," my dad said quietly as people started to board the train.

"I won't, dad. I know how important it is to you," I said, feeling in my robe pocket to ensure it was still there.

"It's not just important to me– but it'll keep you from getting caught. Remember what I said," my dad prompted.

"If you're doing something stupid don't get caught," I recited with a small laugh.

"That's right, kid. Moony, Padfoot, you better take good care of my baby," he said seriously.

They rolled their eyes. "She'll be fine Red, don't worry. You should be more concerned about the trouble she'll get herself into," Lupin said.

I smiled sheepishly. "Me? Getting into trouble? I would never."

"Of course not," my mom laughed, giving me a final hug. "Be good. Stay out of trouble. Write often."

"Of course mom," I said, muffled by the deadly hug she was giving me.

She pulled away and her eyes looked sad. My mother wasn't as good at hiding her feelings as my father. "The train is filling up, you should go now so you'll have a decent seat," she said in a soft voice.

I smiled encouragingly at my mom. "Yes. I should go now. I'll call you as soon as I'm sorted," I gleamed.

"Okay my brave young lady. You've got this. Make us proud," my mom said holding back tears.

I didn't let the tears I felt coming escape. Leaving my parents was hard but I knew the change was important. "You know I will. I love you." I said my goodbyes to my parents and stepped onto the train, my luggage in hand. I waved to them as the train pulled off and shot them an 'I love you' sign in ASL. When they were finally out of sight I took a deep breath and allowed the tears to fall. This didn't just feel like a bittersweet send off. Something deep down in my stomach sensed something more serious was at play but I tried to shrug it off as generally anxious thoughts. This was a big change. Lupin entered my empty cabin with a small smile.