"Mother," Grace greeted her, staring at her through the mirror while she waved the seamstresses away. She couldn't entirely turn around with all the needles sticking in her gown. "I am glad you have arrived safely." It was the truth, but that didn't mean she didn't feel a sting of anger and betrayal at seeing her face again. She was reminded all too much that this woman who called herself her mother had abandoned her and left her alone in an enemy court. Just because Grace managed to survive in it didn't mean she would be forgiven.

"Darling," Katherine answered, voice breathy as if she couldn't believe whatever she was seeing. She stepped around all the seamstresses until she stood in front of Grace, looking up at her where she stood on a stool to allow the seamstresses better access. "That is quite the extravagant gown."

Grace nodded, though she wasn't sure if the tone of her mother's voice was approval or displeasure. Tilting her head down, she roved her eyes over the embroidery and gems that lined the dress – creme and gold, to celebrate the victory of the white rose, with a tinge of red lining for her own house. The fabric that made up the skirt was a heavy brocade. Grace couldn't imagine how much it had cost, but she would have to thank Duchess Cecily again. The woman had provided a vast array of fabrics to create her new wardrobe, including some that were still yet to be delivered, travelling from Burgundy with her youngest sons. She'd also gifted her jewellery, gold and silver with various gemstones of all possible colours.

The Yorkists had been kind, bestowing all this upon her and letting her keep her title and lands. Edward could've stripped them from her and no one in his court would've batted an eye. And what could her stepmother do from her exile in Scotland? She doubted her father was even aware enough to do anything, either. If he was, his hands were tied just as much as Margaret's. Edward had granted her a castle inside in duchy which had previously belonged to other Lancastrian supporters. Hertsmonceux Castle was beautiful, from what she'd been told.

To her great surprise, even Warwick had gifted her something: two greyhound pups to show off his goodwill and thanks for keeping his daughter safe. Grace and Cecily spent a long while naming them until they finally settled on Area and Athena for lack of better ideas. It fit them well enough, Grace thought, and she was keen on keeping the names when she saw how excited Cecily was to be able to name them. The girl rarely ever smiled, and who was Grace to snuff out the little happiness she did have? She'd even managed to convince Warwick to allow his daughter to stay in her service if that was Cecily's wish.

Lord Warwick's kindness was strange, but she was glad for it. There were too many people in court who looked at her with suspicion at best, and hatred at worst. Having a friend, no matter how conditional Warwick's cordiality might be, was good for her.

"It is, isn't it?" Grace replied, her voice voice tinged with affection, though it was not meant for her mother. "The Duchess Cecily thought I should have clothing befitting of my station." She ran a hand over the fabric of the bodice, enjoying the raised layers of the embroidery.

"You seem fond of her." Grace expected her mother to sound annoyed, maybe even a little bitter, but she seemed saddened above all else. She offered Grace a small, unhappy smile.

"I am very fond of her. She was kind to me at Ludlow and she is kind to me now. The Duchess was there for me when I needed someone." Grace couldn't help the jab she hid in the words, relished how her mother's face twisted in a grimace when she noticed it. She was here and you weren't, mother.

"It is good you have someone from that family to rely on," answered Katherine, her smile tightening. She inhaled deeply, roving her eyes over Grace's entire form. "You remind me so much of my mother in that gown, do you know that?" That took Grace completely off guard. She blinked a few times down at her mother, showing her confusion, but the only thing she got in response was a genuine chuckle from her mother. "She preferred green and blue clothing, but she wore white often as well. Pearls were her favourite, I swear she wore them everywhere." Katherine ran her fingers over the pearls in her hair, staring off into space for a while. "The Duchess of Sussex. And now the title belongs to her."