Often enough, he's bound to see you as an enigmatic figure. All of a sudden you waltz into Lady Tamayo's residence half-dead and chose to become an assistant in spite of having seven days left to live— you even had the audacity to smile through it.

Like you were fine with your life ending.

Seven days, huh?

Yushiro often thought seven was a lucky number.

But with your presence here, he might have to take that away.

"Hey..." You spoke out, catching the boy's attention, "Do you believe in the afterlife? Maybe reincarnation, perhaps?"

Yushiro was a bit surprised with your answer as you didn't seem like someone who would talk about such broad and deep topics. But then again, he has only known you for less than three days, so it wouldn't hurt to give a sincere answer.

"If I had to be honest, I can find the possibility of reincarnation and the afterlife to be true," he responded, "If demons and demon slayers exist, I'm sure that the chance of reincarnation would be real."

"Demon... slayers?"

"Shit, I forgot to tell you about it," he sighed, "Considering that this estate is basically hidden, I doubt that they would be able to find it. However, demon slayers are a group of people who slay demons using breathing techniques, the rest of it is too complicated to explain but that's the main premise."

You hummed, "Do you think Lady Tamayo would like to one day team up with demon slayers? I remember her telling me about how she refused to live like other demons, how she wanted to treat humans like any other human despite being a demon herself."

He furrowed his brows and thought about your question.

Would Lady Tamayo like to join hands with the Demon Slayer Corps one day? He never really contemplated about it, after all he figured that she would like to work solo.

Plus, he can see the image of the Hashiras acting like total brats, trying to persuade their master to not team up with demons because they're 'all evil'.

He shuddered at the thought of Lady Tamayo having to deal with such trouble.

Oddly enough, he felt like breaking something when he saw you in Lady Tamayo's place in that image. He must be going crazy for thinking these things.

Or was he?

A comforting silence enveloped the two as they only ever heard nothing but the calming sound of the flowing pond, galloping within the within the water's ripples.

How long has it been for Yushiro to feel such tranquility? Days? Months? Years? Decades? He wasn't sure, but all he knew right then and there was because you were right by his side, humming an unfamiliar but graceful tune.

He enjoyed your company, completely forgetting that in just a few days you will nothing be but particles disintegrating in the air.

It's a bit sad how reality takes a toll on one's being.

"Ooh!" You awed, "Did Lady Tamayo put my painting up on the wall?"

You looked at the framed painting in front of you, pinned against the wooden bark of the wall— the painting that you made yourself last night of you, Tamayo, Yushiro, and Chachamaru.

The woman in name shook her head, "No, though I wish I did. Your painting is magnificently well-made, it can be considered as a masterpiece if you put any of your skills in auction. I'm a bit surprised, you know?"

"Haha, really? Then I guess painting was a passion of mine before my memories were erased," You lied, scratching your cheek in embarrassment, "Oh, but if you didn't put it up... was it Yush-"

"I only put it up just because Lady Tamayo was the center of the piece, okay!?" Yushiro cut off, "Don't get any ideas in your head! I didn't do it because I thought you were talented!"

You only returned him with a smug shit-eating grin, "Yeah, sureeee you did!"

"I really did, you brat!"

"Did you? Aw, are you a tsun-"

"I am not whatever 'tsundere' thing you are talking about!"

"But-"

Yeah, he really did enjoy your company, huh?

dear yushiro,

i think my ego rose to the roof
when you admitted to putting up
my painting on the wall! i feel
appreciated right now!

oh, don't forget to make me
a paper crane. or maybe a
thousand, that's still up for
grabs!

thank you for viewing the pond with
me, too! it made me notice how
pretty your eyes really are (though i
already complimented them two days
ago)

sincerely,
y/n

day 3.