"Yeah," Adrian agreed, "but you were, what, twelve?"

"That doesn't mean it's any less scary," Alec argued. Adrian murmured something unintelligible, and then he was sighing and pushing himself up. The Institute was cold—the heating was probably faulty, like the old elevator—so Adrian had opted to wearing a long-sleeved shirt and jogging pants to bed. There was a fireplace in his room, but he hadn't wanted to bother starting a fire. He regretted not making one anyway as soon as the blanket fell away from him. Shivering, Adrian reached for his stele on the nightstand and crawled out of bed. Alec sat up as well, rubbing at his eyes. "Where are you going? You should sleep some more."

"I can't sleep," Adrian admitted, padding over to the stone fireplace built into the room. It never really registered to him how large the bedrooms in the Institute actually were until he had to walk all the way across it to the fireplace, barefoot and freezing. "I'm too wired. You should sleep, though. You've been out on patrol all night." Alec grunted, murmuring something under his breath, most likely rude. Adrian kneeled down by the fireplace, already stacked with wood, and pressed his stele against one of the logs. He drew a quick fire rune, then sighed in relief when a fire immediately caught, the heat making him relax. He curled up in front of the fireplace, trying to get warmer faster. A moment later, Alec was beside him, draping the blanket Adrian usually kept on the reading chair by the window over his shoulders, then sitting down and sliding closer so he could join Adrian under the blanket. Adrian cast him a disapproving look, one Alec rolled his eyes at.

"Don't look at me like that," Alec said, reaching for the stele still in Adrian's hand. Instead of grabbing the writing tool, Alec grabbed Adrian's wrist, bringing it over in silent request for Adrian to draw a rune on Alec's wrist. Grumbling, Adrian drew a rune to keep Alec awake, despite knowing better. If he didn't draw it, then Alec would just draw it himself. "You're going to have the ceremony in a few hours. I'm not gonna leave you to freak yourself out all alone." Alec nudged him in the side once he was done drawing the rune, and Adrian grumbled again, setting the stele aside. "And as for being your witness, yes, of course I'll do it. I'd be happy to." Adrian shot him a grateful smile.

"My hero," Adrian teased, leaning forward to press a soft kiss on Alec's cheek. Alec surprised him greatly when he turned his head as Adrian was pulling back, leaning forward for a kiss on the lips instead. It was a soft kiss, but it wasn't a chaste one, not at all like the peck on the lips he was used to receiving from Alec on nights like this. It felt explorative, like Alec was trying to figure something out. Adrian couldn't imagine what, mind far too foggy, but he let his eyes flutter shut and let himself be kissed slowly and deeply. It was a good distraction from his anxiety, and he almost wanted to fall into it, wanted to fall back against the floor and drag Alec on top of him. He nearly did, but he caught himself right before he could, hand flat on the cold stone. Alec had followed him on instinct, so when Adrian caught himself, Alec couldn't stop himself in time. Their noses ended up bumping slightly together, and even though it wasn't painful or jarring at all, it still made them both break away and laugh. But Adrian ended up reaching up to touch his lips a moment later. Glancing at Alec, he asked quietly, "What was that for?"

"Nothing," Alec said, perhaps a little too quickly, as he settled back into his previous sitting position, pulling the blanket back over his shoulders. Adrian dropped his hand from his mouth and raised his eyebrows. He knew Alec far too well, and he knew Alec didn't kiss him like that for no reason. The last time Adrian had checked, Alec was still a little nervous regarding intimacy, so he saved deep kisses for when they were out on a date, or when they had no plans for the day. Even then, he was usually the one to pull away first; this time, it had been Adrian who had stopped, when he'd refused to fall back. Alec saw Adrian's curious look and gave a small smile. "What? I can't kiss my boyfriend now?" Adrian cocked his head to the side.