engaged at first date

"So, what is it that make you, you know, propose to me? I barely sat. You don't even know my favourite color yet." Elsa broke the ice as her yellow hatchback exited the parking lot.

"Well then, what's your favourite color?" Carl returned the question. There's a hint of sarcastic tone in his voice.

"Lilac." Elsa calmly replied.

"Speak English please." Funny enough, after the proposing incident, Carl doesn't feel like following normal man woman dating courtesy. She's so witty he can't help being competitive.

Elsa gave him annoyed side look. "It's a light purple shade. Now, stop being funny. Why?"

Carl let out a soft sigh. "I am really sorry about that" he's back to being serious. "It's just before you arrived, I was thinking about my grandpa and how he always pressure me to marry and now he's been always sick and it worries me. I've seen you before at one of my client's wedding. Tony's. You catch the bouquet. I don't know why it came across my mind and I was thinking, hey I know you. And the logic just flew out of my mind and propose to you." He explained without any excuses. It's the truth. "Am I convincing enough to you?"

"Oh, I don't remember seeing you at the wedding. How old are you anyway?"

'32."

"Oh, I thought you were like 40 or something."

"Why? Do I look that old?"

"No. it's funny how your grandfather kept pressuring you. You're not that old"

Carl chuckled briefly. "I was the only child. Both of my parents passed away when I was 10 and my grandpa raised me alone. He's 85 now."

"That's unfortunate. Sorry about that." Elsa suddenly feeling sorry for him.

"That's okay. He just wants to see me settled down before you know.." Carl smiled at her. "How about you? Why are you on blind date?"

"Hmm.. just looking." Elsa focused back on her driving. Something about his story shot an idea to her head but her mind reminded it's too risky and her inner voice advised her not be reckless.

"Looking for what?"

"I don't know.. a man?" Elsa shrugged the question off lazily. She doesn't know why, she felt like being herself with him. It's like catching up with an old friend. The conversation just flow naturally and not forced.

Carl nodded his head. "Say I didn't mess up earlier, what would you think of me?"

Elsa studied him for a second. "You're good." She teased him.

"That's it? Only good?" Carl wasn't satisfied.

"Well, what do you want me to say? What do you think of me? Am I beautiful enough for you?"

"You're pleasing to the eyes...." Carl teased her back.

"Jerk." Elsa rolled her eyes.

Carl laughed. "You need to turn left after this." He gave a direction.

"And we're here." Carl pointed at a small shop that read 'Shanks- Café &Bar'. Elsa parked right in front of the cafe and turned off the engine. Both of them take off their seat belts and exit the car.
The cafe was small, but the atmosphere was good and it was well lit. It's almost 8 in the evening and the cafe was a bit crowded.

"Told you, this place is famous." Carl opened the door and let Elsa walked in first.

"Hey, is Shanks here?" Carl talked to one of the server.

The guy smiled at him. "Nope, he said he got somewhere to go. He'll be back soon though."

"Oh.. Is Elliot here?"