Marriage Law

Disclaimer: JKR is the best and all of this is her's, not mine.

Hermione's POV:

Just like every other day, I had dragged my lazy friends for an early breakfast in the Great Hall. I always eat early so that I have enough time left to reach the first class of the day early. After eating my breakfast and as I was drinking pumpkin juice, the morning owls arrived. A tiny black owl had brought me the daily prophet.

Putting aside the empty glass, I had unrolled the newspaper. As soon as I had read the glaring headlines on the front page of the newspaper, I gasped loudly and continued to read. My gasp made Harry stand up behind me and he began to silently read the morbid news over my shoulder.

Harry too gasped and cussed, 'they can't be sane? Damn the Ministry! Damn the ugly toad!'

Uneffected by the drama unfolding before him, Ron continued to slurp his hot chocolate and said, 'bless the kitchen elves.'

'Shut Up Ronald,' I yelled and swatted his head with the newspaper. Seconds later, I had burst in tears.

'Blimey Hermione! What did I do? I am so sorry!' he said bewildered and worried.

Patting my shoulder, Harry told him, 'Its not you mate. Its the Ministry and their new law.'

'What shit had they pull up now?' asked Ron, still wary at approching me.

'Read this,' said Harry, picking up the crumpled paper that I had thrown on the floor and giving it to Ron.

Smoothening the crippled paper with his palms, Ron began reading it. 'Bloody hell!' he gasped and threw away the paper as if it has burned him.

The flashing article read on the front page read-

Marriage Law - A genious brain child of the Ministry

Addressing the alarmingly falling fresh magical blood rate and increasing squib population of our magical community, the Minister had announced the introduction of a new law- Marriage Law! After thanking his Under-Secretary Dolores Umbridge for her excellent proposal of this marriage law, the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, had signed the papers officiating the new law which shall become active as of today.

All the unmarried muggle born witches and wizards of age above eighteen years would be required to get married to either a pureblood or a halfblood of age above twenty five years by the end of this month. The ceremony shall be conducted by a member of the Department of Marriage Affairs, Ministry of Magic. The married couple has to produce two children in the span of five years. In the span of these five years, the muggle born witch or wizard shall be considered as a ward of their spouse alone. The halfblood or the pureblood spouse can incorporate his/her own rules in the bonding agreement of the marriage for the successful execution of the Law and thereby producing two children with their muggle born ward and he/she can also decide whether to continue or terminate the bond after the end of five years.

To safegaurd and ensure that the main purpose of the Law i.e., reproduction is successfully met, the muggle born witch or wizard will be placed under the copulation curse which will regularly monitored by the Department of Marriage Affairs.

'Failing to comply with any of the above duties, the muggle born witch or wizard shall be severely punished under the new Law,' informed the new Head of the Department of Marriage Affairs, Madam Dolores Umbridge. She had also stated that the punishment would vary depending on various factors from assigned a new spouse after the five years to life imprisonment in Askaban.

For more details on the new Marriage Law, wait for the evening issue of our reputed newspaper- the Daily Prophet.

- Reeta Skeeter, Editor, Daily Prophet.

'Bloody Ministry! Bloody Law! Bloody Fudge! Bloody ugly toad! Bloody dung beetle' cursed Ron, looking at the paper and me, alternatively.

'You are only student above eighteen years, muggle born or not! Hermione, please don't cry! There has to be something to get you out of this Law. Let us go to Dumbledore's office. I am sure he is already planning to get this stupid Law repealed,' he said.

'Yeah Hermione. Let's go to his office,' added Ron, pulling me from my seat. On our way he kept cursing Ministry and the Law.

'Miss Granger' called the baritone voice of our Potions Master making us halt. 'Headmaster needed to speak with you and asked me to retrieve you,' he said angrily. When we started to follow him towards the Headmaster's office, he turned and said, 'you alone.'

'We will come with her,' said Harry in a forceful voice.

'Its OK, Harry! I will go alone. You guys wait for me in the dorm,' I said sadly, not to casue a issue with the already angry professor.

'You sure' he asked.

'Yes' I replied and continued to walk towards the office. Professor Snape followed me and quickly crossed me with his long steps. I had to increase my speed to meet his pace. Once we reached the gargoyle statue, the sound that I could hear was my pounding heartbeat, both out of the long run and immense fear about the outcome of the Law.'

'Open your mouth, you obnoxious girl' yelled Professor Snape, bringing me out of my mind's battle. I have not even noticed when I had taken a seat before the Headmaster's table. His eyes werw looking at me kindly through his halfmoon spectatles but lacking their usual twinkle. Professor Snape was seating in the chair next to me with a sour and angry expression on his face.

'I am sorry Sir! I haven't heard you,' I apologized meekly.

'Obviously' sneered Professor Snape.

'Let the girl relax, Severus! So, Miss Granger, I take it that you have already read today's prophet,' he said looking at my bloodshot eyes.

'Yes Sir' I replied.

Nodding his head, he said, 'we are here to discuss your stance as the Marriage Law is effective from today and you will be the only student seemed to be effected by this new Law.'

'Could you kindly enlighten me what am I doing in this pity talk?' Professor Snape asked the Headmaster, voicing one of my many questions.

The Headmaster had looked the door with a slight wave of his wand and said, 'you are here, Severus, because I wish for you to marry Miss Granger.'

Author's Note: Hi, my dear readers! I hope you liked this chapter. Please vote and comment, they boost me up and encourage me to write more. Love you all!