3 - Daredevil

"Dad!" I yelled, my pre-teen voice being lower-pitched than most my age.

It was winter at the ranch. The freezing cold air bit at my pale skin as I traipsed through the deep snow. I stepped through the white layers of snow as I made my way slowly to the barn where we kept our horses.

I called for my father once again as I entered the warm barn, looking around myself and seeing how the horses were silently eating hay, all choosing to ignore my presence. I stepped forward, my boots thudding against the straw-covered concrete beneath me, the dim light above my head flickering in the storm.

"Dad?" I called out once more, determined to find my father.

As I rounded the corner of the barn, grasping the last stable door to my left, I heard a chuckle emanate from outside of the stall. Out of curiosity, and finding my father, I approached the noise with caution.

"Surprise Georgie,"

I peered up at my dad, seeing a smaller grey pony standing beside him. He was grasping a lead rope that connected to a halter that wrapped loosely around the pony's petite face. The dim light lit up the dark grey dapples on the animal's fur, the loose hairs on his face and feet swaying gently in the small breeze that filled the barn.

I smiled ear to ear, "New pony?" I asked casually as I walked over to the two of them.

We sold our horses and ponies often and bought new ones in, some to keep others to sell. That's also how we made some money as I would break them in and build them into reliable animals.

The animal immediately lifted its head towards me, studying me before whinnying at me. That was a clear sign that the horse liked me before he attempted to lick me as I held out my hand just below its muzzle, the thick hairs tickling my hands.

"He's yours, sweetheart," My father told me, handing me the thick lead rope.

I hesitated, "R-really?" I held my mouth agape without realising it before I pulled my father into yet another hug, thanking him.

"Now, what are we gonna name him?" My father asked me as I walked around the pony, brushing my hand along his back.

I smiled, "Joey, short for Joseph,"

I woke up with blurry eyesight, not being able to use it gave me advantages though. I could smell the summer air and feel the warm heat from the sun on my whole body. I could taste blood in my mouth, the irony substance wrapping itself around my tongue and teeth.

I suddenly felt myself suck in a long breath through my mouth without having any control over it, my lungs crying for air as I rolled onto my side.

"Georgie, breathe," I heard a familiar voice ring in my ears as I clenched my fist against the sand below my body. I found myself spitting dirty water out onto the fresh sand, making the events in my mind slowly come back to me.

I rolled back onto my back as I was able to breathe again, peering up at the bright sky and making out five faces peering down at me. I could clearly make out Jim to my left, feeling his bare knees press against the skin below my bra strap. His hair was wet, dripping down onto my stomach as he continued to stare down at my features, his blue eyes seeming to be full of worry.

I found myself grasping Jim's bicep as I looked over at the other faces, remembering that they were Jim's friends. I looked to my right and saw Mickey, his hair was also dripping wet.

"Where? What happened?" I stuttered out as I looked in between them all, the bright sky making me squint.

"You don't remember?" Jim chimed in as he wrapped a hand around my stomach and supported my bare back as I sat upright, Mickey also placing a hand to my back.

Primed for Sin//Basketball Diariesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें