"So about 10, almost 11, years ago, I was sent to Afghanistan on a work trip. Back then, the company still sold weapons and war technology, and I was there to pitch the idea for a new missile to aid the U.S military. While I was there, our vehicle got ambushed, and I was kidnapped. I was hurt pretty badly-- had several pieces of shrapnel lodged in my heart. When I woke up, there was this... contraption in my chest, made out of an electromagnet and a car battery."

Harry's eyes were wide as he listened. How could he have no idea about what had happened to his dad? Especially when what had happened sounded so... scary?

"I was being held captive. They called me a mass murdered, because my company's weapons were responsible for so many deaths. They wanted for me to build them the Jericho, to retaliate, and at first... I refused."

Harry held his breath, knowing that the outcome wouldn't be good.

"They tortured me. Held my head underwater, beat me with both their fists and any other objects they could find. Finally, I broke and said I would do it. But, that's when I had drawn up my first blueprint for the Iron Man suit. I told them I needed the materials for the Jericho missile, but I was really building the suit along with it."

Tony searched Harry's face, deciding that he didn't need all the gory details of what happened next.

"I ended up escaping. It wasn't pretty, or the perfect escape that I had been hoping for, but it got me to a point where I was rescued safely. They brought me home, acting as though I deserved this 'hero's welcome' but I realized that I didn't want to be building weapons anymore. I saw all of the damage that they did. I wanted to shift the focus of the company, and that's exactly what I did. I announced my identity as Iron Man, made a better arc reactor for myself, and the rest is history."

"Don't forget the part where you poisoned yourself in the process," Pepper spoke from her spot in the doorway, arms crossed but wearing a kind smile.

"You poisoned yourself?" Harry exclaimed with eyes wide.

"It was minor," Tony waved the statement away, and from behind him, Harry could see Pepper shaking her head no, indicating that it was not 'minor'.

"You're okay now, though, right?" Harry's eyes were filled with concern, and Tony couldn't help but put his hand on his son's shoulder reassuringly.

"I'm fine now, I promise. Both the reactor and I are in tip top shape, and plan to stay that way for a long time."

Harry wrapped his arms around his dad, enjoying the embrace and once again finding comfort in the soft light that was being emitted from his chest.

"Thank you for telling me," Harry murmured into his dad's chest. Tony turned and glanced at Pepper, who seemed to understand that the two wanted some more time alone, because she stepped in and placed a soft kiss to both of their heads before disappearing once more.

"Harry," Tony's voice was soft, and at the use of his actual name, Harry glanced up.

"I've dealt with the nightmares. I've dealt with the PTSD- hell, I still am dealing with it. But that's okay, and it's normal. I know that you worry about seeming 'broken' and 'fragile' because of it, but you're not. Because look at the things that I've survived. Look at what Bucky has survived, and Steve. We all struggle sometimes, because of our pasts, but that doesn't mean we're weak. It doesn't mean that we aren't strong. I've felt the same things, kiddo, and I know how it feels to have those thoughts. But you're stronger than you know, and I just wanted to reiterate that."

Tony wasn't surprised when he felt Harry's arms thrown around him again, the front of his shirt growing wet with tears. He just pulled his son close, and kissed the top of his head.

"I love you buddy," he whispered.

"I love you too, dad," Harry responded, head still buried in Tony's shoulder.

"Now," Tony pulled him away at arms length. "You'd better get some good sleep-- you've got a big day tomorrow."

Harry grinned through the lingering tears, thinking about the opening day once more.

"I can't wait."

*

(A/N: Hello everyone! Sorry it's taken so long to update! This summer has been crazy so far-- I've put in 48 hours at work this week [at my part time job lol], and I'm taking a 3 hour class every single weekday, so between those two things, I haven't had much time or energy to write! But I'm here with this update, because I wanted to give you a Tony/Harry/little bit of Pepper moment, and then the next chapter will deal with the opening day of the bakery! I've barely thought about it, so the chapter might take a few days (hopefully not too much longer??? I don't know, don't quote me on anything at this point). That being said, I hope you're all still enjoying and thank you for reading!! Stay safe and healthy everyone!)