Chapter 19: The Night Sky

Time passed by quickly, mending your past hardships with the boy in front of you. The sun set amidst all the chaotic conversations and giggles.  It sort of felt normal again, and everything was cleared up between the two of you. You felt your shoulders ease up as you got up from your seat. There was no longer anymore tension between you and your best friend. He willingly paid as a way to 'make up' for the past week and miscommunications brought upon your friendship. His hand slipped into yours as it was before and continued to drag you into the cold night. 

You shivered at the feeling of the chilly air kissing your face, but you didn't mind. You embraced the feeling while gripping tightly onto the boy next to you. Everything was cleared up except for one thing: your feelings for each other. 

You thought about the consequences of confessing your love as you looked up into the night sky freckled with bright stars. You blindly trusted him to lead the way for you, as your thoughts continued to consume you while your eyes met with the moon. You were always fascinated with its beauty and the way it helped the world wave back through oceans as a reply to its kind moonlight.

"The moon is beautiful, isn't it?" Akaashi said.

His words rang through your head, and your walking slowed until you both came to a halt. The moment undoubtedly took your breath away, but your heart palpitated so fast it could practically burst. You felt like the moon noticed, and used its moonlight as a spotlight on you. 

Your eyes looked into his dilated pupils as he was anxiously waiting for a response. His cheeks started to flush with color, indicating the sincerity of his words. You grinned at the sight. This wasn't how you imagined his love confession would go, but you weren't complaining. It wasn't a bouquet of roses, a large poster, or surrounded by a crowd of people but it was more perfect than you could ever imagine. 

"I can die happy," the words escaped from your lips. 

"Wait, really?" his eyes were widened as he asked. A grin slowly crept up across his face when he realized that the moment he anticipated for so long was before his eyes. He basked in the long awaited euphoria. 

"I love you," you confirmed. The words were accompanied by the smile he loved so much, and your twinkling eyes that shone brighter than the stars you observed. 

He stood there, stunned to hear the confession but his ears were pleased at the words. He wasn't sure what to say or do next, but he felt like he could read your mind through your pupils. Your hand was free, since he decided to let go and use his hands to pull you closer at the waist. He wasted no time and leaned down to meet his soft lips with yours. Your hands met with the back of his head, deepening the kiss before pulling away. 

Your laughter filled the spaces between the stars in the night sky, feeling fulfilled. He joined you, creating a melody by your giggles alone. He grabbed your hand again, continuing your journey back to your apartment. 

"Does that mean you'll be my girlfriend?" he walked ahead, but you heard him loud and clear. 

"No," your sarcastic remark struck him.

"Huh?" he turned around to look at you.

"Why wouldn't I be your girlfriend after all this time? I waited too long for this," you smiled.

"Yeah, it feels like this took almost 20 chapters in a book," he laughed. 

You furrowed his brows at his analogy. "You're so fucking weird."

"And you're willingly dating me now, so what does that make you?" 

You rolled your eyes at his comment, but smiled anyway. You didn't want it any other way.

. . .

Akaashi got back home safely, still in shock that you're both finally together after all this time. His cheeks were sore from his constant smiling, and he laid on his bed in disbelief. 

He originally planned to confess on Wednesday, with the help of class president Watanabe Aiko. He thought you'd be more fond of larger gestures, considering the way you'd react to them in movies and shows. Now, he faced the obstacle of calling it all off. Grabbing his phone, he dialed Watanabe Aiko's number. 

"Hello? Keiji?" she immediately answered. 

"Hey," he put the phone on speaker and set it on his pillow. "I don't mean to bother you so late, but I don't think I'm going to pull through on Wednesday anymore."

"Oh?" she smiled. "Why? Are you not interested in her anymore?"

"What? That's-" he started to speak but she cut him off.

"You know, I kind of realized that you two began to be more distant. I kept wondering if you still wanted to continue those plans."

He hesitated, disgusted at her ulterior motive within the call.

"If you guys aren't talking anymore, I'm free on Wednesday."

At this point, he felt uncomfortable. He never showed an ounce of interest towards the girl, and he made it clear that he has only ever been interested in you. Somehow along the way, she developed feelings of her own. 

"I... I'm dating Y/N," he stuttered. "I'm not interested in you."

"What?" she seemed very confused. Her silence was replaced with multiple awkward shuffles.

"Uh, I can take care of calling everything off tomorrow, it's fine."

"No, I got it," Watanabe Aiko was definitely upset over the news.

"Are you sure?" he asked to make sure.

"Yeah, goodnight Akaashi-san."

"Bye, Watanabe-san."

a/n: omg crazy isn't it. if you're confused, saying "the moon is beautiful, isn't it?" is a love confession, and saying "i can die happy" is a way to say 'i love you' back! i hope you guys are enjoying this all so far, i love writing hehe.