𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯

Start from the beginning

The flowers sprout thorns that cause
immense pain, and petals will be coughed
up at intervals where the affection is 
particularly strong. Blood from thorn wounds
may also be vomited up.

Hanahaki is terminal unless the love is
returned. If the affection continues to be
one-sided, the sufferer of the disease will
either choke and asphyxiate on their own
blood, or suffer fatal thorn wounds.

If you believe you have Hanahaki, please
see one of the below listed professionals
immediately.

Y/N threw her phone to the other side of the room, uncaring when it knocked something over with a smash. She bit her lip so viciously that the soon-to-be familiar metallic taste of blood filled her mouth, as a stray tear wound down her face and splattered onto her bedsheets. 

Did this mean ...

She thought of Koushi - his kind hazel eyes decorated by the cute little mole on the left side of his face, his radiant smiles, his silvery hair-

The flowers she had coughed up had been silver.

Silver.

Silver. 

Silver.

"Oh, fuck," she whispered to herself, though it wasn't like there was any else she could whisper to. "No, no, no ..."

Unrequited love.

"I love ... Koushi. Koushi ... doesn't love me."

It pained Y/N to say the words, and it took her a moment to realise the ache of admitting the emotion wasn't metaphorical. She barely made it back to the bathroom before choking out a fresh explosion of the silver flowers. Falling backwards, leaning against the tiles of the wall and hugging her legs to her chest, Y/N felt as vulnerable and awful as a young child.

Except, when she had been younger and sick, her parents had just fed her medicine and kissed her forehead, promising it would get better. She'd always eventually recovered. 

With this disease, that could never happen.

"I am going to die."

Y/N barely managed to say the words before the tears began to flow again.

❯──────「✿」──────❮

It took a day for her parents to find out what was wrong with her. When they finally broke down the bathroom door to find her having cried enough tears to fill an ocean with blood running down her front, they sat on the floor with her, holding their daughter in their arms until her sobs turned to hiccups.

Y/N didn't go to school. She didn't talk to anyone, and barely left her own room except to sprint for the lavatory and vomit yet another array of flowers, the blood filling the silvery petals thickening and increasing with every day. 

The wounds on her body from that fateful day at the skatepark had faded, so now the only physical problem with her was the plant growing within her, but her condition deteriorated much faster than it should have. 

A week passed, and Y/N felt dead - she didn't register the sensation of breathing or blinking, and she'd let her phone die long ago so there were no forms of communication with Ko- with him. Constantly censoring her own thoughts, blocking out any flash of memory involving a boy on rollerblades, smiling so widely at her like she was his entire world, except ...

I wish I was your world, your gravity, the way that you are mine.

She coughed weakly as she pulled herself into a sitting position on her bed, inspecting the purple blemishes covering her crossed legs. 

"Blood and bruises," she mused to herself quietly, trying not to let the sadness get to her just this once. "You've covered me in blood and bruises."

Sudden noise and chatter downstairs made Y/N perk up her ears, aware that her parents had promised not to have anyone over.

Maybe they're just talking. I can't be mad at them for talking. 

Something made her on edge, though, and she found her eyes drawn to her phone in the corner of the room, still lying where she'd thrown it an eon ago ... had it been nine days, or ten, since then?

She gave a humourless laugh to herself, but cut herself off with the sound of feet racing up the stairs, along with scattered conversation and sudden yells. The door to Y/N's room slammed open, and she saw the face she'd least expected to look upon that day. Immediately, she looked away before he could even tell she'd glanced at him. 

"Y/N, you haven't responded to anything, are you okay?"

She lifted her tear-stained face towards him, her lips painted with blood and e/c eyes rimmed with a similar red.

"Do I look 'okay'?" Y/N whispered, attempting to use any emotion - anger, sadness, fear - anything that would overcome her heart's loving beating when she saw him. "You did this to me. You did this to me."

Sugawara Koushi watched, horrified, as she coughed once, her eyes never leaving his as a single, red-streaked, sterling silver flower landed in her hands.

You did this to me.

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

thank you for reading thisbook and i hope you enjoy it!~ jazzi

book and i hope you enjoy it!
~ jazzi

thank you for reading thisbook and i hope you enjoy it!~ jazzi