Chapter 6. Need Somebody

Start from the beginning

He was calm as he used his fork to stab his orange chicken.

I sat back and rubbed at my eyes that had started to water and he chewed slowly as he sat his fork down.

"You don't want me anymore and you don't want me to be with anybody else. What you want from me" Moses said as his eyes shifted down to his plate and he stared at the food.

"You weren't there and you swore last time would be different. Now I gotta settle for somebody that's not you and you don't get it because you don't care!" I yelled at him.

"You just ranted to me about how I'm holding you back and you so happy in California. I didn't beg you to come back, you came back because you wanted to see me. You can lie and say it was for Peyton, but I know you and I know that's not true" He said angrily as he clenched his jaw.

I rubbed my eyes going to speak again but he threw his hands up and slid out of his seat.

"I'm not about to do this with you. You wanted space right?" He questioned as he reached into his wallet and tossed money onto the table without counting it before slipping out the door.

I watched his car speed away as a waiter asked if I was okay. I swallowed hard and nodded my head before getting up from the table.

I continued wiping my face as I left out of the restaurant and used one of my hands to pat my pockets in search of my phone.

I walked for a little bit before I saw Moses sitting down at a bus stop a few feet away. He was looking straight ahead and when he heard my footsteps he looked up.

"I thought you left" I said quietly and he looked straight ahead.

"You thought I left you?" He asked before glancing at me again and I nodded my head.

"I saw your car pull off" I said as he sighed and stood up tucking his hands into the front of his jeans.

"That was Dylan. I live close and got another car, I can take you back" Moses said as he walked ahead.

I remained in my spot for a moment still angry, but eventually followed him. He didn't turn around, he just continued to walk like I was holding him at gunpoint.

I noticed he was walking with his hand gripping the gun in his waistband. He watched his surroundings closely and when he saw a man walking behind us, his pace slowed down.

"Walk in front of me" he instructed without glancing at me and I did as told. The man eventually crossed the street and headed in a different direction.

A few minutes later we arrived at Moses' brownstone and I saw the other car he was talking about parked out front.

"You can come in, or wait outside. Gotta find the spare keys" he said as he patted at his pockets again like keys would magically appear.

"I'll come in" I muttered and he left the door open as he walked inside. I followed and shut the door behind me as he began looking through a closet in the hallway.

"It looks lived in here. You use to move around a lot" I said and he glanced over his shoulder.

"Yeah, been here for about a year now. I made it a home and it probably helps that not a lot of people know where I live" He replied.