Chapter 1 - Clutching my cure

Comenzar desde el principio

Hisashi perked up slightly. People using their powers to stop others from harming others?

That sounded... awesome.

Though by how his parents were talking about it... Hisashi didn't think that they'd seem too keen on letting him choose that career path.

Plus... he didn't have a quirk anyways. His father had the ability to use his finger as a small lighter, but as far as he knew, his mother didn't have a quirk.

Did he even need a quirk to save other people?

Logically, that answer should be no. Anyone should be allowed to save other people, with or without special abilities. But if they had to fight against people who had superpowers... surely it was most logical to pit someone with powers against them... right?

Of course, people without powers might stand a chance, but then they'd probably have to train super hard in order to keep up with people who can shoot water from their hands, or being able to pick things up with psychic abilities.

Hisashi just scratched his head, as he climbed back into bed, tired of his parents arguing. He'd think about this tomorrow.

---------------------

Fuku just scrolled through her phone, replying to emails, as Hisashi sat inside the white, boring waiting room, kicking his feet about as he tried to find some way to entertain himself. Just three days ago, his father had brought him to one of the hospitals near their home so that they could x-ray his feet, for some weird reason, and he wasn't eager to be stuck in another medical institution for an hour or two.

The clinic was just packed with parents and their screaming toddlers, some who were there to register newly manifested quirks, and some were like him, having reached the age of four, and not having manifested a quirk at all.

Letting out a sigh, Hisashi looked towards the stack of kid's books that were sitting on a table in the corner of the room. He didn't like reading, but he wanted to grab a book, just so that he had something to do, but his mother had told him that they had no idea how clean the books were, and he just shouldn't touch anything in a hospital unless he knew that it was clean.

The television was just showing a bunch of boring advertisements that were played on a loop, so there was no luck there as well.

Hisashi looked up, just as a man with dark green hair and business attire walked into the waiting room with a small girl with equally dark green hair. They look around, noticing that the only empty seats available were next to Hisashi and his mother. Letting out a small sigh, the man sat down and took a set of newspapers out, leaving the empty space between himself and Hisashi for the green haired girl.

The girl clambered up onto the seat, only to notice that Hisashi was looking at them, before she smiled at the blue haired boy, "Hi! My name's Inko!"

Hisashi blinked, looking around in confusion, before he realized that the girl was talking to him, "Uh... hi? I'm... Hisashi..."

"I haven't seen you around here before!" Inko grinned, "Do you live in Musutafu?"

Hisashi thought about it for a second, before he shook his head, "I don't think so... it took a long time to drive here... I think we live in the West of Japan."

"That seems like a nice place to live. They're opening a new school there soon, right? Some Shike or Kitsu or something like that..." Inko replied, just as the television switched from showing advertisements to the news.

"Today, there was an incident in Esuha City where a man was using his quirk, which allowed him to create guns from his hands, to rob a convenience store. The Heroes at the scene were quick to detain him, resulting in minimal collateral damage and..."

Hisashi just stared up at the television in awe, and Inko turned to see what Hisashi was looking at.

"Heroes, right?" Inko smiled, before she turned back to Hisashi, "Do you know that my mom was one of the first people recruited into the new Hero Program?"

"Really? That sounds epic!" Hisashi responded in amazement, and Inko nodded, "Yeah! My dad didn't really want her to join, but it was a government initiative or something... I'm not too sure. But I bet she's awesome! When I grow up, I want to be just like her!"

Her father let out a small grunt when Inko mentioned him, and Fuku just seemed to notice that her son was talking to someone. She looked up from her phone, and turned to Inko and her father, before she smiled softly, "Midoriya Fuku."

"Akatani. Akatani Ido." The man nodded in response, before turning back to his newspaper. The two kids watched the slightly tense interaction between their parents, before Inko turned back to Hisashi, "So, why are you here? I turned four a few days ago, and no quirk. So I'm here!"

Hisashi scratched his cheek, "Same situation... just... I turned four a few months ago."

"Mrs Midoriya Fuku! Please come to Room 9!"

"Ah... that's us..." Fuku quickly pocketed her phone, and stood up, "We have to go. Hisashi, say bye to the nice girl."

"Bye!" Hisashi shyly waved, and Inko smiled and waved back, as his mother gently led him towards the consultation room.

The doctor didn't say much, in all honesty. He just talked about the correlation that people who lacked a toe joint tended to manifest quirks, explained that children were manifesting their quirks earlier and earlier so that their quirks, which would also be weaker, would cause less harm to the body when they first manifest, and allows the body to grow up while adapting to the quirk in order to lessen the overall damage and allow the kids to learn how to use their quirks safely.

Then, the doctor brought out his x-rays, mentioned that he lacked the toe joint, and that he would most likely manifest some kind of fire-related quirk, since that was the element that his father possessed, but there was a possibility that Hisashi might manifest some other kind of quirk altogether, and that it was alright if it took a couple more years.

He then said that he would note it down in Hisashi's medical file, and they should come in for consultations every one or two years, or once Hisashi's quirk manifested, so that they could get it noted down in the database.

By the time they were let out of the consultation room, Hisashi was already tired, and he looked around the waiting room as Fuku settled the payments by the counter. He was hoping that Inko was still there, but he couldn't find a single hint of dark green that reminded him of the Akatani family.

"Come on, Hisashi. Let's grab some takeaway on the way home. Your dad is returning late today, so I'll grab you some katsudon." Fuku winked, "Don't tell your dad, okay?"

Hisashi lit up at the mention of katsudon, and eagerly nodded.