(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟎) news of dragons

Start from the beginning

☽☽☽

Athena spent most of her afternoons sat reading at her desk. Her posture was becoming increasingly bad because of it as she leant forwards to pour over the words in front of her. She lost track of the time on more than one occasion, sometimes even missing the feats (not that this really mattered, she could simply go down to the kitchens whenever she pleased).

It was a week before the first task now and Athena was doing everything she possibly could to keep her mind off what was really going on. Remembering that Harry was in grave danger and could be facing any number of troubles in seven days terrified her.

The voices were often so loud in Athena's mind that she couldn't concentrate on the imprinted words on the page in front of her.

That's when she heard the crackling of the fire to her right. Looking up, she saw Aurora stepping out of the grate dusting ash off herself. She'd been to visit Dominique as she did whenever she got a chance. Usually she came back with a smile and some story of her wife's experience with dragons. Athena loved hearing stories of Dominique, she certainly had a more interesting life than the two sisters.

Today however, Aurora stepped out of the fire pale in the face with an almost worried expression taking over her usually calm manner. Athena could tell immediately that something was wrong. Her sister wasn't exactly good at hiding it.

"What's happened?" She asked quickly.

Auroras attention snapped up to meet her sisters gaze. She sighed as she sat slowly down into her chair. Whatever it was, she didn't want to talk about it. Either that or she couldn't talk about it. Athena was more intrigued upon this thought.

"I'm not supposed to say" Aurora shook her head, "Dominique told me not to"

"Rory you can't do that to me" Athena rolled her eyes, "you've basically sealed your fate now, you have to tell me"

"I can't—"

"When's that ever stopped you before?"

"Rena—"

"Come on" Athena rolled her eyes, "is it bad?"

"I found out what the first task is" Aurora admitted. The remembrance of the tournament sent a shiver through Athena's spine as she placed her book gently down on the desk in front of her.

"You know what it is?"

"Yeah" she nodded slowly, "you're not going to like it but Rena... you can't tell Harry you just can't, it'll be going against all the rules and Dominique could get in a lot of trouble if they know she told anyone"

"Dominique told you... but how would she know? Unless... Rory please don't tell me—"

"It's dragons" Aurora confirmed the panicked thoughts that had been taking place in Athena's mind.

She froze momentarily as her mind whirred. This was worse than she had expected. Athena had read into the past trials of the Triwizard Tournament and they'd all been terrible but this was hundreds of years ago. She'd expected that modern Hogwarts may have been more lenient. She wouldn't have expected Dumbledore to allow danger such as this to enter the school.

"Rena you can't tell Harry—"

"They can't let him do this" Athena muttered, "they can't expect— dragons Rory... even I would be scared to take on a dragon never mind a fourteen year old boy!"

"I know... it's terrible I agree but please, they'll know Dominique said something if you tell Harry, she could lose her job, she told me not to tell you"