Chapter 2 (Continued)

Start from the beginning

     “You were rocking me?” I asked, astonished.  “I felt like I was on a boat.”

     ”Uh, I guess I went overboard on the rocking then,” she said guiltily.

     “Easy for you to say, you didn’t actually go overboard!” I exclaimed, not at all in the mood I wanted to be in after I had been woken, though I was secretly grateful for her to have woken me. 

     “Sorry ‘bout that,” she said apologetically, and I couldn’t help but forgive her.  “Anyways, I let you sleep for four hours missy, so you should be alright until tonight.  Besides, I’m expecting guests and the last thing I want is for Mimi Smith to be here while you’re in bed.  God I’d never hear the end of it.”

     “Mimi?” I asked, sitting up straighter and propping my elbows on the pillow.  “John’s aunt?”

     “Yes,” Anne nodded gravely.  “She’s so like your mother sometimes I wonder if they’re sisters instead of Mary and I.  She’s very conservative, and very proper, so you’ve got to look presentable.”

     “Wait,” I said slowly. “You said guests?”

     “Yes,” Anne said, starting to grow impatient.

     “As in plural, guestS?”

     “Yes!” she exclaimed exasperatedly, standing and placing her hands on her hips, tapping her foot to show me that I needed to get going.  "You're being awfully slow, you know that?"

    Ignoring this comment, I asked, “So, does that mean,” I looked up at her, not at all wanting the answer I knew she’d give me.  “That John’s coming as well?”

    Her face turned from impatient to downright exasperated. She rolled her eyes and said, “Well I’m not going to send John home if that’s what you want from me.  You’ve judged him too quick Liz.  You’ve gotten a proper rest now, so maybe he won’t get on your nerves as much as before.” She winked at me and headed to the door. 

    Before going through the door way though, she turned, paused, and then cajoled me. “Are you waiting for an invitation? Get up, get ready! Mimi’ll have a field day if you’re not ready when she gets here!” With that she turned and left, her feet thudding on the steps on the way down.  I sighed, knowing this entire meeting was inevitable, and with great regret heaved myself out of my warm bed.

     I walked across the room to my vanity and, upon looking in the mirror, shuddered at my reflection.  My eyes were bloodshot and had dark bags under them, and my bob, which was awful to begin with, was skewed in every direction, completely messed up. 

     “This is going to take some work,” I sighed, and proceeded to attempt to make myself look somewhat presentable.

                                                                         VVV

     Twenty minutes later, I had re-brushed my hair so it was once again its awful short self, and I had changed into a thin, tight fitting black wool turtle neck to keep off the English chill, and a long grey and black striped circle skirt with simple black shoes.  My outfit clearly resembled the view outside my window, which pictured grey skies and the soft thudding of rain which had begun to fall. I had just slipped on my shoes when I heard the sound of the door opening and my aunt exchanging greetings with who was obviously Mimi.

     I closed my eyes briefly, simply unenthused about seeing John again. Even with extra sleep I guessed he would be beyond frustrating to talk to, and it would take all my willpower to act polite while his aunt was around. Not to mention that extremely disturbing dream where it seemed like John was about to tell me that he- “No,” I told myself sternly.  “Don’t even go there.”