𝒕𝒘𝒐. worthy

Magsimula sa umpisa

     "Yeah, he'll get better. He just has to get used to it," Jake agreed, putting down his guitar and picking Jenny up from Hope to place the baby in her crib. Hope sighed sitting up on the couch as he sat beside her.

     "She's beautiful, Jake."

     "She is, isn't she?"

     "Will you be at the next practice?"

     "As long as my parents can watch Jenny, yeah. You want to watch a movie?"

     "As long as it's The Princess Bride," Hope nodded.

     "As you wish," he sighed mocking the iconic quote.

     Hope smiled in victory as Jake stood up to grab the movie she brought a long time ago. Hanging out with Jake was easy, she was never judged and always felt safe. He was her best friend and she was his.

     If anyone saw them together their first thought would be boyfriend and girlfriend. But they weren't, even if sometimes they each wanted to be more. Hope smiled as Jake came back into the room with the movie and popcorn. She didn't need to say anything for Jake to know she really just needed to hang and watch a movie for a while. So he didn't ask questions about why she seemed sadder tonight. He just sat next to her and let her lean on him while he played with her hair.

✰✰✰

     The next day Hope sat beside Lucas in English, while Nathan sat in front of him and Peyton behind Hope. She was doodling in her notebook while the teacher spoke, only half listening.

     "You know early in his career, Hemingway was, he was frustrated. He was a good writer who wanted to be great. And eventually, he discovered that less was more. Peyton. Describe Lucas in one word."

     Peyton sighed, looking up at the blonde boy, "Choke."

     The class erupted into laughs and snickers while Hope just looked back at Peyton in confusion. "Okay, quiet, please. Thank you. Lucas, care to respond and describe Peyton?"

     Lucas looked back meeting her eyes, "Lonely."

     The class groaned, "Okay, quiet, please."

     Surprisingly enough, Nathan was quick to come to his girlfriend's defense raising his hand. The teacher sighed knowing this wasn't going to end well, "Nathan?"

     "I have a word for Lucas, actually, Hope too. Bastards."

     Hope's heart dropped as the words reached her ears. "Alright, alright, alright, alright."

     Nathan swung his head back making the slightest eye contact with the hurt blonde. Lucas lunged forward punching Nathan and tackling him at the front of the classroom. Hope gasped standing up slightly.

     Hope walked out of the classroom, leaning against the locker. Tears slipped mercilessly down her face, streaking her once perfect makeup.

✰✰✰

     "I'd stand up but every time I do, somebody kicks me in the ass for putting you on the team," Whitey scolded Lucas. "Sit down! Phew! Boy, I must be getting senile. Because I thought just maybe you were different. I stuck my neck out for you. Damn it, I trusted you!"

     "I shouldn't have hit him. You're right."

     "You're damn right, I'm right."

     "He called Hope a bastard," Lucas admitted. "I don't care that he called me that too, but she's my sister! I'm not just going to not defend her. Look, I don't think I can do this."