--

Upon arriving back to the house, Amane suddenly froze in front of his doorway. It felt too quiet for his liking. Usually Haruto would probably be scampering up to greet him, but right now... something felt off.

He gripped on the doorknob, slowly opening it and stepping inside. The slight change in the wind made him instinctively duck when a metal rod suddenly came swinging right at him.

Quickly he grabbed the metal rod and dragged it forward to them, taking the assailant along and giving them a hard lunge at the jaw, sending them flying backwards onto the floor.

Intruders? Don't tell me— Amane saw from the corner of his eye another person drawing out to be what looked like a handgun. He threw himself behind the kitchen table before any of the bullets hit him.

"Hah?! He's too fast—" The second attacker didn't stand a chance when Amane took hold of a nearby wooden chair and smashed it on his head, knocking him out.

Who the hell are these guys?! Wait a minute—Haruto!

He ran to Haruto's bedroom, but there was no little boy to be found. Damnit! Did more of those thugs kidnap him? How did they know I was here?

Tch... Calm down, Midnight. They might have compromised my location, but I can merely just start over again.

He didn't hear the sound of someone stumbling back up, picking up the abandoned metal rod and approaching him slowly.

As for Haruto... there are plenty of other kids. I can just cut my losses and restart my plans.

WHACK!!

In an abandoned building, Haruto quivered in fear on the chair was bound to, mouth taped shut with duct tape. There were many shady-looking people surrounding him, eyeing at him sternly.

"Huh? What's with the brat?" The old man in the fancy suit was who he guessed was the boss, leaned over to look at him closely. "Don't tell me that's Midnight's son."

"We don't know, but he was in the house the transmission came from, so we grabbed him just in case."

Uh-oh. It's from that transmission I was messing around with?!

"Well, it doesn't matter. If he turns out to be valuable to Midnight, we can use him as a shield from him. We'll force Midnight to take the photos of the minister of foreign affairs' secrets himself."

"But boss," one of the goons said. "Isn't it about time you just gave up on it? It's just a wig."

To Haruto's complete shock, the boss man had merely answered his question with a gunshot to the head.

T-that's a silenced pistol!! Like in that episode of Bondman!

"Honesty's important in politics. Wigs are no good. Plus, the minister's secretly working with the west. That's treason. And anyone who's covering up for treason is committing treason, too."

He's a real, REAL bad guy!!!

"Boss, Nguyen and the rest of the boys we left at the house are back!" Another goon called out, upon seeing a black van arrive outside.

"We caught a man." Haruto perked up at the sight of his father, whose hands were tied behind his back and head covered in a sack.

"Ugh, this guy doesn't move like an amateur! He's the real deal!" One of the new arrivals coughed, his companion telling him to take a rest.

Haruto locked eyes with him, and something told him something was off. It didn't take a mind reader to see it.

"Now then, Midnight... How about you return those photos you stole?" The boss squatted down and pulled off the sack covering their captive's head.