Putting the envelope in his inner coat pocket, Amane prepared to step out of the cafe. "I'll be heading back. Thanks for the help, Kou."

"No problem. But it's no good to get too attached, Midnight."

"Yeah, yeah."

"Wait a sec, you forgot your change—!!" Before Kou could holler again, Amane had already left. He sighed to himself, shaking his head.

"Geez... I'll never really understand spies."

Meanwhile, back in the house, Haruto, all alone in the living room, stared up at the ceiling. He was bored. Bored out of his wits.

Spies aren't what I thought... I wanna defuse a bomb, or something...

Hold on, didn't Papa lock a room somewhere in here? He said something about hiding his gear stuff with a password.

Beaming, he hopped off the couch, wobbling towards the door to his father's bedroom. Thanks to his mind reading skills, he easily unlocked the door with no problems.

He rummaged through the plain looking boxes set near the bed, before coming across a suspicious-looking briefcase. He opened it, finding a pair of headphones and a bunch of buttons that rather confused him.

"Hm? Aren't these those communicator thingies spies use? Papa has them too!" Haruto smiled at his discovery. Putting on the headphones and plugging them in, the began to mess around the controls, unaware of the commotion he was currently causing.

"Boss! We're picking up a strange signal!!"

"Is it in western code?!"

"No, it's just in plain text!" The communicator began to translate the signal being broadcast. "Um... it's says, 'This... is... Midnight...'"

"Midnight?!" The boss suddenly became pale. The infamous Midnight had now set his sights on him?

"This frequency is used by the western organization! It may be real!"

"Hold on, there's more! 'Tag... you're... it...'"

"Hurry and trace where that signal's coming from! I'll kill him for the humiliation he's caused me!"

Haruto sighed, switching off the gear and looking around. The entire floor was a mess from all the things he had carelessly just left without tidying up.

Oh no... If Papa finds out I went in his room and messed with his secret spy stuff... He quickly began to return everything to their original places.

"I can't let him know, either... I can't let Papa know I'm an esper..."

"Subject 007, you can never tell anyone about this power."

"It's study time now, 007."

"But I wanna draw."

"There's no need for such childish things. We need your power for the sake of world peace. There's no time to cry. Now stop playing around and study."

That's what they told me all the time.

I don't even know where I came from, or who my parents are. I don't know what it's like to be in a family. Which is why...

His thoughts were interrupted by footsteps approaching. They didn't belong to his dad, however.

It sounded more like intruders.

Haruto sensed them coming closer, hearing their thoughts more clearly. He had to run away and tell his dad—!!

"Oh, look what we have here!"