There were no windows in that tiny office, leaving us in the fluorescent gleam of military-grade lighting.  There were papers and soda cans scattered all across the desk while pictures of smiling students, past and present, cluttered the walls.  A tiny fan swiveled from the top of a filing cabinet in the corner, occasionally exciting the packet of paper on it’s right before turning away again.

“Have a seat,” Hughes told us, pointing to the set of chairs that were cramped up in between his desk and the wall.

We did as we were told, our teacher standing above us with crossed arms.  In that moment, he reminded me of another one of my professors.  The CoveOps teacher with a cheerless disposition.  “I’ve been watching you two,” he told us.

Again, the two of us exchanged a glance, hopeful that the other would have answers.  Apparently, neither of us did.  “Umm…” said Will, a question in his tone.  “Sorry sir, but is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

I looked in to my leader’s eyes, knowing that with these boys, he was not the same man that I had come to know last semester.  In the past few months I had learned about a completely different side of Blake Hughes.  A stricter side.  A more ambitious side.  It was necessary, he had said, to have a stricter approach when dealing with the summer crowd.  Otherwise someone among us would probably end up being lit on fire.

But occasionally, the Hughes I knew would sneak back into this new soldier.  If I listened closely—which I often did—I could hear him whistling a tune. Sometimes he’d even risk a smile.  The man who had taught me Heart and Soul would sometimes fade back into existence, reminding me that he was there.

Right then, in that hot little office, our teacher’s expression shifted and I could see that piano-playing man.  I could practically hear a song in his voice as he told Will, “It’s excellent, Mr. Kidd.”

Will and I turned to each other, this time letting excitement fill our expressions.

“You’ve both managed to impress me this summer,” Hughes continued, reaching towards a small fridge against the back wall.  “Which is not an easy task.”

He cracked open two soda pops and handed one to each of us.  Will and I both shared a glance, as if asking each other for permission.  Everyone knew that soda was a strict no-go for the team diet, but when I dared to take a sip, Will soon followed and soon we were consuming our first form of condensed sugar in months.

“Mr. Kidd,” Hughes said, taking a seat behind his desk.  “You've done some excellent work this summer.  You’ve mastered many of the skills that I've given you, you achieved your goals both in Morocco and in Chicago, and let’s not forget that you are currently the undefeated champion of Running Rats.”

Will beamed with pride.  Hughes couldn't help but mirror him.  No one ever could.  Will’s smile was contagious, which was probably why Bill was always smiling, too.  “Thank you, sir.”

Hughes pulled both of his feet on top of the desk, crossing one over the other. “I’m sure that you are aware of the open Captain’s position, correct?”

Will nodded, a sort of boredom in his expression.  “It's all anyone's been talking about since Collins left,” he said in the tone of someone who was quite tired of hearing about it.  Really I couldn't blame him.  That entire summer had been a chorus of who’s the next Captain going to be and well it’s going to be me, so shut up and listen.

The Captain’s position, apparently, was the highest ranking student leader in the group. He made all of the calls when Hughes wasn't around to do it.  According to everyone else, Collins had held the position since he was in the eighth grade so now that he had graduated, no one knew who would be next.