Chapter 3: Problems Left Unsolved

A/N: short chap bleh did not proofread xoxo

Nothing filled the air but for silence.

It felt like a staring contest between you and the blonde. The other individuals wouldn't dare break the intense atmosphere that you two had created.

Miranda, still in shock, slowly walked over to you almost hesitantly. Despite the bird-like mask she had on her face, you were able to see the astonished expression she wore. You clenched your jaw the closer she got, having the audacity to take a step back with of jingle of your chains when she was just a few feet away from you. Small memories of the two of you flashed through your head but you knew that those were the old days. Your eyes hardened, removing any and all emotions from your face, not daring to let a single one seep out.

The gesture made Miranda frown, as she tried to step towards you once more. "My love, please—"

"Don't call me that!" you barked, making sure your voice didn't crack since you felt yourself close to breaking down. It had been so long since you heard those words, you almost forgot what they had sounded like. Before, they'd make your heart melt but now they just sparked a raging fire within your whole body. "You don't get to call me that anymore, Miranda."

"I was wrong—" your ex lover sought to explain herself but you refused to hear it, chuckling bitterly.

"Let me guess, you didn't mean to let me lose control like a rabid fucking dog after I clearly begged you not to inject me with whatever the hell it was that you found in that cave?!" you shouted, feeling your blood pressure rise. Because of her actions, you were to remain the creature that you were for the rest of your life while on the run. People were out to get you no matter where you went, everywhere you turned. You were forced to constantly travel, attempting to wipe away your identity but they still somehow found you. You didn't know who they were but the military grade weapons were enough to make you think twice about trying to get to know them. "Do you know how long it took me to finally control this shit?! I felt like a feral dog for over a century! I've been so close to killing innocent people all because you couldn't take no for an answer!"

"I thought you would change your mind once you saw the power we could hold!" Miranda defended herself, slightly raising her voice though not as high as you. "Maybe then I could have made you to see that we can bring back Eve—"

"She's dead, Miranda! When will you get it?!" your voice finally cracked. With your outburst and newfound energy, you escaped the cuffs that bound your wrists together and ripped the device off your neck, dropping it to the ground with a clang. Tears welled up in your eyes but you wouldn't dare let them fall. "We can't bring her back." you forced out, avoiding her eyes at last, looking off to the side.

"You're wrong, (Y/N)." She was suddenly in front of you so you never had a chance to react as she cupped your face gently in both hands. Your head craned to look down and back at her. She had brown eyes before her transformation but now they were an unfamiliar yellow that you weren't used to seeing. She smiled up at you, soothingly rubbing a thumb over your cheekbone in affection. "I have found a way... But I cannot continue without you by my side."

You curled your lips, once again angered by her actions. Pulling your face away from her touch and stepping back, you shook your head. "No. We're done."

"Think carefully about—"

"I said, we're done, Miranda!" you bellowed, your eyes turning a dangerous yellow as you clenched your fists. You glared deep into her eyes to make her get your point. You took a single step close to her but before she could say anything else, you were unexpectedly pinned to the wall by what felt like metal debri and something sharp at your neck. You completely forget about the wound in your shoulder and are reminded by the pain that shoots through your body, causing you to let out a small yelp. The end of the tall woman's clawlike hands were just an inch away from piercing your throat and Karl's freehand was held up, holding you in place.

"Do be cautious to watch your tone and actions with Mother Miranda, mutt." the woman warned, her glowing yellow eyes meeting your own. She glared with annoyance present on her face. "I will not be so forgiving the next time around."

"As much I hate to agree with supersized bitch, I'll have to side with her on this." Karl yawned, leaning on his left arm with his hammer. His right palm continued to face you. "Can't have you go rogue on us."

"Children," Miranda started, glancing back and forth between the two individuals. "I assure you both, (Y/N) means no harm. Release her immediately." The tall woman turns back at Miranda in disbelief while the blonde just stares at you worriedly, her claws still an inch away from taking your life.

"Mother Miranda, I must suggest we do something about her has she refuse to join—"

"Do not fret, Alcina." The blonde holds up a hand to interrupt the woman's protests, looking at her before she glances up at you. She has a slight frown on her face as your eyes meet once again. "She will in due time. Release her."

Due time your ass.

With unsureness, her claws retract from her hand with a piercing sound, similar to rubbing two knives together. She makes sure to give you one last glare before she turns away and returns to her seat. The cold metal that surrounded your body is dropped to the floor, along with you as you land on your knees, clutching your shoulder. Miranda locks her fingers together, giving you a once over. She wants to comfort you but she knows you'll just push her away.

"You're not really expecting me to stay, are you?" you ask rhetorically, still kneeling and trying to ignore the annoying ache you felt. You evade her gaze as she hums.

"I'm afraid you have no choice."

"Oh, but I do." you challenge, scowling at the woman. She's still indifferent, shaking her head and sighing.

"So ever the spontaneous girl." she smiles, tilting her head slightly. "My love, where are you to run off? You're injured. It is wise to rest and rejuvinate, is it not?"

You don't give her reply and instead let out an irritated huff at the affectionate name. She knows you have no other choice but to listen to her advice.

Miranda turns to look at the tall woman expectedly. She's glaring daggers into your body but you don't really notice it as you're more focused on thinking of ways to numb the pain. When she notices Miranda looking at her, she quickly composes herself.

"(Y/N) is to reside in Castle Dimitrescu for the mean time," Miranda says but it is more like an order. "I trust that your family will be most hospitable, Alcina."

Alcina ignores the urge for her eye to twitch. Instead, she complies and nods her head despite her feelings towards having a dog in her home. "Of course, Mother Miranda. I will not fail you."

Miranda nods, especially satisfied with the response. "Now then, shall we get you cleaned up?"